What's new

Replacing / Recovering Island Canopies - Jim Coleman

trs246810

Reaction score
I tried calling Jim Coleman to ask about replacement canopies. I left a message, but never got a call back. What all is involved in replacing a worn out canopy? Is this a DIY job? I'm not sure if this is something I should be looking for a local canopy company to do?...or keep trying to reach Coleman? Does anyone have any experience with canopy replacement? I've read that red is not the color to go with from past threads, but that's about all I was able to come up with. What colors have people had the best experience with?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have red, Blue and Yellow. Asked other operators in the area who had them to find a company that recovered them. Awning companies can typically do it. Wasn't cheap. Red was no worse than others. All one color was much cheaper than having a seprate white band on them.

washnvac

Reaction score
I had my local sign company modify the frame to make it an "A". Much easier and cheaper to cover this way. I did one solid color. These things are a total waste of money, but since they were already at the wash I bought, I am happy with the re-do. Every site I have seem with the old oval ones- they are torn and faded. I have seen pictures where they look nice new; but a few years down the road; not so much. My modification was $2752 for 4 units installed. (over double vacs)

trs246810

Reaction score
Did you reskin it with metal after the modification? Metal seems like it would make great sense.

washnvac

Reaction score
No. I did fabric so the lights would show through. Metal is a great idea for next time, though. The re-done ones have been on for 2 years with no fading or tearing. They are blue; versus the yellow that was on there. The roof is blue, too.

View attachment 862

vinh

Reaction score
I tried calling Jim Coleman to ask about replacement canopies. I left a message, but never got a call back. What all is involved in replacing a worn out canopy? Is this a DIY job? I'm not sure if this is something I should be looking for a local canopy company to do?...or keep trying to reach Coleman? Does anyone have any experience with canopy replacement? I've read that red is not the color to go with from past threads, but that's about all I was able to come up with. What colors have people had the best experience with?

James McGee
713-683-9878
is the sale guy at Coleman that sold me the coleman double vac awning. it is a 42" by 10 feet. The best color combo is red with yellow band with black letters. Red somehow fade the least with time. Blue is next. Yellow is worse. Price is $905 for them to install it or make the recover and mail to you. Same price. I normally take a road trip with a trailer and the aluminum frame. They will make it and recover the awning for you. It looked brand new without any imperfection. I didn't want the hassle of putting it on myself and possibly ripping the awing.