What's new

Replacement Guide Rails

Rudy

Reaction score
The aluminum guide rails on my two touchless automatics have finally worn out after 25 years.

Any ideas about how/where to find replacements.

Also...

Has anyone tried any alternative solutions?

Could you use a 6"x8" composite (or plastic) plastic beam bolted to the floor?

mac

Reaction score
I've been using plastic bumpers that you see in parking lots with good results. If you got 25 years out of the aluminum ones though you might want to do them.

Rudy

Reaction score
Thanks Mac....That's the direction I'm heading.

My biggest concern.....mounting them. I have floor heat, and drilling and installing wedge anchors scares me. Nicking a tube would ruin my day. I'm wondering about drilling down only a inch or so....and then epoxying in some stainless threaded rod.

Do you have floor heat....and how did you anchor them?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Thanks Mac....That's the direction I'm heading.

My biggest concern.....mounting them. I have floor heat, and drilling and installing wedge anchors scares me. Nicking a tube would ruin my day. I'm wondering about drilling down only a inch or so....and then epoxying in some stainless threaded rod.

Do you have floor heat....and how did you anchor them?
Look into Hilti epoxies. They do have a anchor/epoxy system as well as just a sole epoxy. I'd be nervous about drilling. If they went light on your slab you could be looking at 3-3.5" . With a 3/4" tube in there...you just might hit the lottery.

MEP001

Reaction score
Thermal imaging cameras are pretty cheap now. You should be able to see and map out your floor heat tubes with one.

I doubt that a 1" deep hole will hold with cars turning into the rails.

I know someone who replaced his rails recently, and he just bought pipe and plate and had a welder make them. At least that way you can position the mounts so they'll miss the floor heat if you can trace it out on the floor.