What's new

replaced tubing now its leaking

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
I have Gates push lock hose. It is 3/8 I.D. and it won't fit over the flowjet fitting at all.
If you can't get 3/8" hose to fit over the barb, then you must have the bigger G57 pumps which have a 1/2" barb. You can either do the "hokey" fix as mentioned or replace the barbs at either end and use 1/2" hose the whole way.

I almost ordered some 1/2" tubing fittings for the FloJet, but they're $13 each! Screw that, my tubing-inside-hose-and-several-clamps-around-it is holding.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I don't install the hose over the Flojet barb unless there is a good reason. I just push back the plastic retaining clips, slide the whole barb/hose out of the pump and reverse to the new pump. Check the o-rings in the barb tho.
Exactly what I do when switching out a pump. Bubbles Galore is doing a new installation however.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I must have the 1/2" barbs then, what a mess. It shouldn't be too hard to get things fixed up then. I didn't realize that the pump came with 1/2" barbs. Another lesson learned. Thanks for the help guys!

Randy

Reaction score
Buy the right fittings and do the job right the first time. I don?t know how many equipment rooms I?ve been in that are a cobbled up mess. Back in the day I worked for a large industrial organization. The general attitude was to do what ever it takes to keep running. Everyone had there own ideas on how to take short cuts, it was scarily. This all changed when a guy was seriously injured. This all changed after L&I and OSHA ripped them a new one. No short cuts after that. The guy that got hurt will never have to worry about his next pay check, he's set for life.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I hate to say this but that looks like its kind of ?Hay wired? or ?Jerry Rigged? Did ?Plumber Joe? do that?

MEP001

Reaction score
Kevin James said:
I hate to say this but that looks like its kind of “Hay wired” or “Jerry Rigged” Did “Plumber Joe” do that?
Now you're just being childish.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Bill,

I never pictured you as a "duct tape and baling wire" kind of guy.

I have to admit that fix does look primitive but sturdy.

MEP001

Reaction score
I meant it to be temporary - I had the smaller FloJet pump on it which fit the tubing, but it failed so I put that pump in its place. It just circulates water over powdered soap in a basket so there's not much pressure on the fittings, and I just never bothered to change it. As I said above, I was going to order the proper 1/2" tubing fittings, but the cost was ridiculous.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Yeap, I usually surprise people on many fronts. When I sold my laundries, I wrote right in the contract that repairs done with duct tape and bailing wire were to be considered ok. He was a friend of mine and him and his worker, begin to call them the Pitzer repair.

Usually, its not in normal hours and crap is happening and going to Lowes just isn't in the cards. That's why I still have drawers of weird parts and pieces of stuff.

MEP001

Reaction score
When I was a tech, I used to get chided a lot for all the crap I carried in my truck. It was especially funny when someone who had asked "Why the heck would you save that?" was saved on a weekend by some random piece of "junk" I dug out of one of my boxes.

I don't do that anymore - I have spare parts out the wazoo, even a spare high-pressure and foam brush boom.

Twodose

Reaction score
1970: Got a suggestion for you. Use JG fittings and tubing.
Is the JG tubing better quality than the poly tubing KR sells? KR is not JG it is thermoplastic biologic (TBL).
Or is JG the only brand you have ever used?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used both the John Guest and the cheaper tubing Kleen-Rite sells. The John Guest worked in the fittings better and was slightly harder to the feel, but the ratings are the same with both.