What's new

Replace hopper motor?

TechGuy

Reaction score
I have a Hamilton HSH hopper that we're trying to replace the motor on... but how the heck do you get the drive wheel off? The service manual seems to show a set screw under the drive wheel, but I have no idea how you would get to it. Maybe there is some kind of puller tool that is made for this size wheel? Any tips? Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a Hamilton HSH hopper that we're trying to replace the motor on... but how the heck do you get the drive wheel off? The service manual seems to show a set screw under the drive wheel, but I have no idea how you would get to it. Maybe there is some kind of puller tool that is made for this size wheel? Any tips? Thanks!
There is a set screw holding the motor to the wheel, in the plastic housing there is a hole turn the motor untill the screw is in line i think its a 3/32

TechGuy

Reaction score
Yes, sir. You are correct. I have no idea how I missed that hole leading to the set screw. Thanks for your help!!

Randy

Reaction score
It’s simple if you’ve done a couple hundred. You need a long 3/32” Allen wrench that’s at least 6” long. Set the Hopper wheel so the screws that hold on the wheel are horizontal. On the bottom of the Hopper motor mount there is a small hole, this is for the Allen wrench. Insert the Allen wrench and feel for the set screw, it can’t find it turn the Hopper wheel 180 deg. loosen the set screw but don’t remove it, sometimes the wheel and the hub come off together, sometimes you have to remove the wheel from hub and use a small puller to get the hub off the shaft. Putting it back together is another story. You need to set the clearance between the wheel and the motor mount by moving the hub in and out on the motor shaft. If you need pictures PM me and I’ll send you some.

Back 40

Reaction score
You have to take the wheel off from inside the bowl to get to the 4 motor mounting screws correct?

Randy

Reaction score
That would be correct. The wheel and the hub both have to be removed the access the motor screws.

Back 40

Reaction score
Any tips on getting the Philips screws on the wheel out? I put a good amount of force on them with no luck and the last thing I want to do is strip them out.

Randy

Reaction score
OH Boy! The fun starts now. You’re going to have to completely disassemble the Hopper. Disconnect the wires from the Payout switch, take a picture of the switch wires before you unplug them so you know where they go on the switch, unless you’re going to replace the switch, the new switch wires up a little different. Remove the 2 screws on each side of the Hopper and the screw in the front and slide out the motor/bowl assembly, unplug the 2 wires on the bottom of the Hopper bowl, one is White and the other is brown, they for empty sensors. Once you get the Hopper/motor assembly out remove the 8 screws that hold on the bowl, if the bowl has a groove worn into the bottom of the bowl replace the bowl. Set the Hopper motor mount on 2 blocks so the motor is hanging free, use an impact driver to loosen the screws. Once you get the screws out and have removed the wheel, loosen the set screw for the hub, sometimes it takes a while to find the set screw, it’s a 3/16” set screw and remove the hub, you can use two of the 10-32 screws that came out of the corners of the Hopper bowl to help get the hub off, gives you something to hold on to has you turn to get it off. Once you get the hub off you can remove the 4 screws that hold on the motor, look at the motor mount if it’s got a groove worn into it from the wheel or is cracked replace it. Install everything in reverse order. Here’s a couple of tips, turn the motor shaft so the flat part of the shaft is at the bottom of the motor, check fit the hub on the new motor before you put the motor in, if it’s too tight use some emery cloth to clean it up so it will slip on freely. Put the wheel back on the hub before you put it back on the motor shaft. Once you put the wheel/hub back on you want to have about .008 - .010 clearance between the motor mount and the wheel. I’ve done hundreds of these, if you need any more help PM me.

Back 40

Reaction score
Alright had another motor go bad.. trying to turn the hub to line up the hole with the set screw so I can get the hub off and it won’t turn at all. I even took two of the longer 10-32 screws from motor plate /bowl corners and used and still can’t turn it at all

Back 40

Reaction score
Alright I was able to wiggle the hub off.. then I put channel locks on the shaft of the old motor, hit the release and still couldn’t get it to turn

Randy

Reaction score
Alright I was able to wiggle the hub off.. then I put channel locks on the shaft of the old motor, hit the release and still couldn’t get it to turn
If you get the Hub off you don't need to turn the shaft. Remove the 4 screws that hold the motor to the Hopper motor mount and the motor should drop off. If your calling the coin wheel the hub then you'll have to turn the motor shaft. When I get them like that I replace the Hopper motor mount, it's part #11-0007

Last edited by a moderator:

Back 40

Reaction score
The coin wheel came off fine on this one. Once I wiggled the hub off I dropped the motor by those 4 screws.. at that point I just wanted to see how locked up it was, so with the motor out I put channel locks on it and it still wouldn’t budge.. one thing I noticed with this one that I haven’t seen before is the white/tan wheel the lever locks into on the back of the motor was spit into a c.