What's new

Repairing 90° Boom Swivels and Straight Swivels

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody else repairs 90° Boom Swivels and Straight Swivels?

My 90° Boom Swivels and all Straight Swivels are Stainless Steel. Last night I installed O'Ring kits in (3) straight swivels at a cost of $2.05 each. I couldn't see any wear or corrosion in the swivel, so I'm hoping the repair works and holds up. In all cases, the white spacer was missing between the (2) mating swivel parts, allowing excessive play.

Now the Boom Swivel I tried to repair was a different story. It is the KR's SS boom swivel, p/n sw4000ss (7 gpm) . It had some corrosion in the area of the 1/8" holes in the center shaft. It was easy to clean up, but at over $8 bucks for a repair kit, is it worth it? Plus the kit they sold me doesn't appear to be the right kit. The Swivel is less than $25 bucks and I'm sure lasts for years.

I've only found one other thread on the forum covering this, and that was several years ago. Whats every one doing now?

Randy

Reaction score
Nope, we don’t rebuild swivels. Never had much success in rebuilding the swivels, they don’t seem to last as long as a new one. We use the Fluid Controls Ball Bearing Swivel KR #SW0260 for the High pressure gun, Foam Brush and the Boom swivel. Put a Street 90 on the swivel and it works prefect as a boom swivel, we’ve been using them like that for years.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I agree with Randy,tried rebuilds and they lasted maybe a week.Anybody got an idea on how to make them last longer please share.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Thanks guys NG for me on swivel repairs. glad to know I am not the only one.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Thanks Randy for the tip on the KR swivel. Its amazing how many swivels are used in a 4 bay SS. I went up this evening to check 'em out. I think I have every different style known to man! Would be nice to only have one that works for every situation. I've put that P/N in my favorites for future refernce.... :)

This forum is Awsome!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Nope, we don’t rebuild swivels. Never had much success in rebuilding the swivels, they don’t seem to last as long as a new one. We use the Fluid Controls Ball Bearing Swivel KR #SW0260 for the High pressure gun, Foam Brush and the Boom swivel. Put a Street 90 on the swivel and it works prefect as a boom swivel, we’ve been using them like that for years.
Randy & others,

We have been rebuilding these brass SW0260s for as long as I remember --- over 15 years now. It seems to be worth it for us. We hammer a notch on each one representing a previous repair & after couple of times of rebuild ---- then at that point it is not worth it for us because then the $4.95 repair kit does not last long enough to be worth it.

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
I use Adams brass swivels at the gun and don't rebuild them. I use Adams SS swivels off the boom and rebuild them, and they hold up well. That swivel is below a short piece of hose and doesn't get any lateral strain. At the gun they get pulled on too much and "waller" out, then they won't hold a kit. I tried both stainless and brass at the gun, and they lasted about the same.

I had been using Sonic boom swivels, but I started using an Adams SS inline swivel with an elbow. It lasts just as long and costs half as much, and it's good as new with a kit in it. The bearings in the Sonic swivels are already going bad before the first set of seals go.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Try one repair & keep a record if it lasts as long as new rather than guessing.

Thanks Randy for the tip on the KR swivel. Its amazing how many swivels are used in a 4 bay SS. I went up this evening to check 'em out. I think I have every different style known to man! Would be nice to only have one that works for every situation. I've put that P/N in my favorites for future refernce.... :)

This forum is Awsome!
2Biz,

When you get that swivel which is also the one we use order at least one $4.95 repair kit & try to repair it at least once when needed. That way the forum users of that swivel will have another supporter at least one repair of the specific swivel.

On another note --- we have tried several other brands of swivels & these seem to work & last the best ---- especially with at least one repair. Unless of course ---- Mosmatic & some of the others have updated their design since their original.

MJ

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Will do. I'll get a few spares the next time I place an order and also get the repair kit. Problem is, if they last a few years or more, I might forget this thread is even here! But I'll try to remember! :)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Will do. I'll get a few spares the next time I place an order and also get the repair kit. Problem is, if they last a few years or more, I might forget this thread is even here! But I'll try to remember! :)
The repair kit for the SW0260 has instructions included with it & with necessary dowels to tap properly. I said we hammer the notches --- actually we lightly file a notch with a triangular file. A 3rd repair is not worth it but 2 seems to be worth it. A tip is to let them soak in vinegar for 5-6 hrs before repairing to make sure they are extra clean. It takes about 6-7 minutes to repair one once you get onto it.

MJ

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I was looking though my work bench yesterday and found some of these swivels that were used. The PO never threw anything away. After looking at the swivel, I couldn't quite figure out how to take it apart. Your post cleared that up! Thanks!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
size matters

Many threads over the years discuss repair VS replace. Seems like I always come out in the minority - I repair most things. Yes, I repair all my swivels, and rarely have problems with the repairs.

I think that like with many subjects, the hidden factor is size... for larger (higher volume) washes, the economics are different than for smaller washes. If my gross had lots of zeros on the end of it, I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about rebuilding a $20 part, its not worth the time or effort. Think about who does their own auto repairs - wall street guys, or blue collar labor. Yes I agree there are other factors involved, but I think one of the principle drivers is economics.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Old thread brought back to life. I just ordered some of the Fluid Controls Sw0260 Swivels. I finally had one go bad that was being used in my truck bay. Thinking out loud, this swivel was not attached to the gun or directly to the boom. Since the bay is so high, I have a 2 foot long HP hose attached directly to the boom with the swivel attached to the end of the hose. Then I attach a standard length hose from the swivel down to my gun. This swivel looked like it had been there for many years. I also have SS swivels attached to my guns.

What I'm wondering is, would the same concept help us in the bays to keep torsional/pulling load off the swivels which may help extend life? Maybe use a 1 foot long piece of HP hose attached directly to the boom, then attach the swivel.

Anybody doing this to get longer life out of the swivels? I make my own hoses, so making the different lengths isn't a problem.

The Fluid Control Swivel spins so much easier than these: http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1541-straight-swivel-38mxf-ss-5000psi.aspx
I have these in the rest of my bays but am wondering if they too would last longer (at the gun) if I used one of the SW0260's attached to the boom or like mentioned above.

MEP001

Reaction score
The "swivel saver" idea has been around for many years. Most swivels wear fastest from sideways pulling, so attaching a short piece of hose directly to the boom and the swivel below it keeps that strain off the swivel.

I don't know if Kleen-Rite's swivel you linked is made by them or not, but it's identical to the JE Adams 7044 swivel, minus their name stamped into it. I've noticed they aren't as smooth as the "real" Adams ones I get from Windtrax.

I don't think the swivel at the gun will wear any different whether or not you have one at the other end.

Stuart

Reaction score
I also utilize a short "swivel" hose at the end of my booms. I make my hose about 18"and attach to boom, then a Mosmatic swivel, regular bay hose, & another mosmatic swivel at the gun. I use gun swivels at both points.

I use the JE adams 90 at the center boom- they work great and have lasted for over 3 years so far. I used to use the elbow and straight swivels and had problems.

On FB I use the SMC brass low pressure swivel. At the handle I put the swivel then a street 90 and attach the hose.

MEP001

Reaction score
On FB I use the SMC brass low pressure swivel. At the handle I put the swivel then a street 90 and attach the hose.
You might try a 45° fitting.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I searched and couldn't find anything about the swivel saver idea. But it only makes good sense. I will be installing them once I get my new FC Swivels. It is very noticeable how much easier it is to handle the wand/hose in my truck bay v/s my other bays that don't use the FC swivel.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
2Biz,

When you get that swivel which is also the one we use order at least one $4.95 repair kit & try to repair it at least once when needed. That way the forum users of that swivel will have another supporter at least one repair of the specific swivel.

On another note --- we have tried several other brands of swivels & these seem to work & last the best ---- especially with at least one repair. Unless of course ---- Mosmatic & some of the others have updated their design since their original.

MJ
MJ....I rebuilt one of the Fluid Controls Swivels with the rebuild kit from KR. Its super easy to do. The kit comes complete with "Dies" to push out the old SS shaft and O-ring. (Don't miss removing the nylon backing washer)...Once apart, the o-ring crumbled to pieces since it was so old. No wonder it leaked. When reinstalling the new Nylon backing washer, O-ring, and SS shaft, I used Sil-glyde to put it all back together. I also forced some 90w oil into the bearing. If installed correctly, water should not get into the bearing. I'm with you, its so easy to rebuild, why not do it a time or two. Although new swivels are only $15.25....

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I use JE Adams on my gun handles like MEP001 said and use mosmatics boom swivels in my 10 bay SS they last the two to three year range hold up very well others don't last as long tried rebuilding. But a firm believer in Mosmatics

Etowah