What's new

removing wax from vinyl

briteauto

Reaction score
I have some textured black vinyl on the exterior of a vehicle - the kind you see on some of the door handles, trim and bumper, that has some wax on it that got rubbed in when it was applied. It makes the black look chalky - how do you get it out?

Thanks.

Mike

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get out what you can with a stiff toothbrush and some mineral spirits (or branded tar/wax/grease remover). Let dry and see what's left. Cover the rest up with a black vinyl dye.. Many detail supply companies make such a product; just look around and you'll find it. The brand I use is "Forever Black".

briteauto

Reaction score
Thanks Waxman - I knew you would have a remedy for this!

Mike

soapy

Reaction score
Try this for those hard to remove wax problems on vinyl. Grab a pink eraser like you used in grade school and erase the wax away. You can use it on the whole peice of plastic and return it to its original black shine with no chemicals. Every cart should have a couple of erasers on it. Go Eberhart Faber!

briteauto

Reaction score
Try this for those hard to remove wax problems on vinyl. Grab a pink eraser like you used in grade school and erase the wax away. You can use it on the whole peice of plastic and return it to its original black shine with no chemicals. Every cart should have a couple of erasers on it. Go Eberhart Faber!
Thanks - I'll give that a shot next time.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:DI messed around with the big pink eraser Soapy suggested and .....SHAZAM...it also removes shoe scuffs from vinyl kick panels on car interiors!

I love learning new tricks like this!

jfmoran

Reaction score
Eraser Trick

Tried the eraser trick, worked great, where has the information been for the last 20 years? :D