What's new

Removing Blower Wheel from Taperlock Bushing Tricks

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Just had another Laserdri Blower Fan break. The blower fan is attached to an 1.25" or 1.5" shaft with a Taperlock Bushing. All three bolts came out of the bushing without an issue this time but the threads for the jack bolts are toast. Cleaned them out with a 5/16" tap but they pulled right out when I used the jack bolts. Are there any tricks of the trade to separate the fan off the taperlock? Last time I had to cut the bushing and fan hub with a grinder and sawzall to split them but there isn't a lot of room to work this time.

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
I have never had to deal with any that bad yet. What about drilling and tapping the jack screw holes to a 3/8-24. Also after putting tension on the new screws hit on the sides of the taper hub with a hammer. Then add more tension and hit with the hammer again. Repeat until you strip those out. 😁

Eric H

Reaction score
Did you soak it with a penetrating oil? Depending on the age I’d expect to cut it out because it is almost certainly seized on.
Looks like the impeller is already destroyed so I wouldn’t spend more than an hour trying to disassemble it properly.
I have had some success with pulling the key lock out with some side cutters and then cycling the motor on and off. The impact of the motor starting works like an impact gun and broke the bond between the bushing and motor shaft. That was for a 5hp pump motor.
I already see you have your MAP has torch. Heat always helps.

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I've been using CRC Knock 'Er Loose for the last few years. It's far better than any other penetrating oil I've used.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
The last one that broke simply cracked, went out of balance and tripped the protector. This one failed catastrophically. The missing fan blade in the picture actually got caught in the discharge nozzle safety cage. I found the fan blade welds laying around the bay floor all curled up. They must’ve came out of there like shrapnel. Luckily no one was hurt and I’m assuming no car was damaged otherwise I would’ve heard about it.

I’ve already received my new $2500 fan wheel and just ordered two new taper locks. I just need to get the old one out. I hate spending so much money on an old blower but it beats the cost of removal, installation of a new arch with four new producers on it, wiring, starters etc not to mention the leadtime.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Try heating it up with a torch and then hitting it with cold water and then with penetrating oil. Sometimes the shock of the cold water will break it loose.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Got it off.

Re-tapped the Jack bolt holefor 3/8” -18 like Our Town suggested (luckily they didn’t pull right out😉).

LOTS of heat!

Bigger hammer

Thanks for the suggestions.

MEP001

Reaction score
Better than blaster?
Yes, I used PB Blaster for years before trying Knock 'Er Loose. The first time I tried it was on a loose nut and bolt that was rusted and I couldn't turn it with tools. I hit it with the Knock 'Er Loose, came back and it came apart by hand.

Undertaker II

Reaction score
By the look of the outer housing in your second picture it doesn't look like the rest of the unit has a long service life left. I had one of similar age and the rot was terrible and was dislodging chunks of rust from the outer housing onto a few cars before I noticed. Replaced that cumbersome unit with a 3 producer homemade arch. Best thing I have done to clean up the bay!

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
By the look of the outer housing in your second picture it doesn't look like the rest of the unit has a long service life left. I had one of similar age and the rot was terrible and was dislodging chunks of rust from the outer housing onto a few cars before I noticed. Replaced that cumbersome unit with a 3 producer homemade arch. Best thing I have done to clean up the bay!
Pretty it is not but it that Laserdri set up works well. Eventually I’ll have to replace it but I’m not ready to spend $15K a bay yet and that’s something I want to plan, not be forced into. There’s no way I could’ve run that bay with one blower for weeks on end waiting for a dryer set up and install.

Here’s a pic of the fan wheel after removal. Pretty brutal.

Attachments