What's new

Remove vacuum decals

hsb

Reaction score
I was able to remove most of the decals using high pressure spray. What is left is the white part of the decal that is the layer on top of the adhesive. I am wondering how to remove this. I may try paint stripper but hope someone has good advice to make this as easy as possible, and I don't like using stripper, well, not the chemical kind. Thx

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
You can scrape them with a razor blade. Sometimes, once you get a start, they will peel off in sheets. Sometimes the glue comes with them, sometimes it stays behind and will need to be cleaned off with Goo-Gone or similar product. Heat works best though. Heat them with a heat gun and they will turn loose pretty quick.

Rudy

Reaction score
I have used brake parts cleaner. Be careful....it's powerful stuff. Put plastic or something below the work area.

MEP001

Reaction score
I also use 3M adhesive cleaner, it works as well as brake parts cleaner but doesn't evaporate nearly as fast.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I would use a decal eraser wheel like this one. http://smile.amazon.com/Choice-Tool-Supply-Eraser-Adaptor/dp/B00488DDB8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408753228&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+eraser+wheel
I just got done removing decals from 250 trucks for a steel company using them. You just put it into your electric drill and it removes the decal and adhesive in one step. I have some leftover from that job that I will sell if interested.

[video=youtube;EWDGbqmlSMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWDGbqmlSMA[/video]

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
The BEST is LACQUER THINNER not goof-off or goo-gone or adhesive remover,Gasoline. I have also used all products I have used them all and Lacquer thinner is the best out of them from my experience I have told other operators in my area and they agree with me since I have found this, and get good pack of basic cheap square razor blades I have also used a heat gun but none of them close to the Lacquer. Did 7 fragramatics last month and get a lot of cotton rags because the old glue will stick to them better will make a mess all over everything I wanted my vacuums perfect since they had the mirror finish.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would use a decal eraser wheel like this one. http://smile.amazon.com/Choice-Tool-Supply-Eraser-Adaptor/dp/B00488DDB8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408753228&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+eraser+wheel
I just got done removing decals from 250 trucks for a steel company using them. You just put it into your electric drill and it removes the decal and adhesive in one step. I have some leftover from that job that I will sell if interested.
I've used them too, and they work great on vinyl decals, but it will not work on the thick Lexan ones like what's on the old D/H vacs or the laminated ones on Fragramatics units, and it will not work with most cordless drills (it doesn't have enough speed).

mmurra

Reaction score
We use a torch / heat gun to heat the decal's glue and lift the decal off whole (or burns off). What remains is glue residue that comes right off with laguer thinner and elbow grease. Mark

slash007

Reaction score
I am about to replace some decals. For all those that chimed in on the best way to remove them, what have you found to be the best way to apply the new decal?

MEP001

Reaction score
Some very mildly soapy water in a spray bottle (just a few drops of Dawn dish soap in about 8 ounces of water) and a squeegee. You don't want the water so soapy that you can slide the decal around, that makes it harder to get it to stay down. I usually put electrical tape on the edge of a credit card for a makeshift squeegee if I don't have one.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I wet the item im placing the decal on with windex. Not drenched, just a nice coat. It allows you to position the decal after placing, then evaporates after awhile.

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Now if I can just find the time to start removing decals. I have a couple of new decals that have been sitting in a box for almost a year now.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
We scrape w/razor & heat gun and Acetone. Sometimes w/o heat gun works better. Acetone is better than laquer thinner.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried lacquer thinner the other day, it worked about as well as the 3M adhesive cleaner but it evaporated so fast it took longer just for constantly having to re-wet the rag.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
it does work good on all decals and glue better than any 3M adhesive remover thats 23.00 a can only thing it doesn't work on goof is the super thick lexan decals on the side of fragramatics/IVS vacs and then i use a heat gun and a razor blade

washme1

Reaction score
I also use 3M adhesive cleaner, it works as well as brake parts cleaner but doesn't evaporate nearly as fast.
Once again, MEP was spot on! I successfully removed the large vac decal with a heat gun and razor. When trying to remove the glue I first tried lacquer thinner as another member suggested. It had worked reasonably well on meter box decals in the past, however I was having a difficult time on the vac decal. I don't think I ever would have gotten all of the glue off. I then bought a quart of 3M adhesive remover and it worked extremely well. So, different products work on different decals.

Another very helpful tip from MEP! Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
Thanks - the adhesive cleaner is more expensive than lacquer thinner, but it's meant to do a certain job and does it more efficiently.

Etowah