What's new

Remote Ownership of SS/Auto Car Washes

cityview

Reaction score
I was talking to some other car wash owners in our area about how it seems like it would be difficult to manage car washes from a distance, but a lot of our competition in the area are owned by out of state owners.

I got thinking about it, and I can't help but wonder how they do it... Do they just hire a really good manager and count on them maintaining the place? I guess if you own 3-5 locations, a full time two person maintenance and cleaning crew could probably manage them without an issue as long as you have really good staff.

I've read others on here mention semi-turn-key installers too, so that was the other thing I was wondering about... are they just buying equipment from installers who maintain them for X number of years?

Thought I'd check to see if anyone out there does this and what they think about it. I searched and didn't see anything, but if anyone knows of some good writeups on the business model, I'd love to find them!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a 4 bay SS in the neighboring state. Probably goes by there once every 2-3 months. Has 2 or 3 guys that do everything - from repairs to banking. I've personally seen his tax returns and he still nets over $100K.

Another option would be to have a place with living accommodations for an attendant/manager.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been working with a guy who is trying to buy car washes that are already profitable. At the top of his list is that there's an attendant who knows the equipment, but he's finding out really quick that they say they know everything there is to know but can barely change a vac claw. He's also seeing a tremendous amount of money going out to distributors who don't have a problem with charging him a full hour labor and two hours travel to change a Dixmor timer.

Reactions: sjb

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
He's also seeing a tremendous amount of money going out to distributors who don't have a problem with charging him a full hour labor and two hours travel to change a Dixmor timer.
Hmm.. I don't see a problem with that either - assuming it is a 2 hour trip. Isn't he paying so he doesn't have to do it himself?

water guy

Reaction score
Yes I'm curious also because I'm 45 miles from 1 location that I'm fixing to take over . And it's in a Area where good help is hard to find.

OurTown

Reaction score
And it's in a Area where good help is hard to find.
I think that's pretty much everywhere right now.

mac

Reaction score
Have seen many places owned by absentee owners and most are in poor shape. I think this is the main reason you don't see chains of self serve washes. Too much busy work needed and too much cash to tempt people.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
The problem I find is that most people I come across nowadays have no mechanical ability. The sound kids, if it's not attache to a game controller or cell phone, they're lost. Plus, most SS washes don't need a F/T attendant - more so a occasional clean up. People are looking for F/T jobs, making $100K with benefits.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hmm.. I don't see a problem with that either - assuming it is a 2 hour trip. Isn't he paying so he doesn't have to do it himself?
He doesn't have time, and he bought the wash expecting the attendant to be able to fix most problems.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I owns 3 washes. 1 is 18 miles away, & the other 2 are 43 miles away. Closest wash I run myself. The two washes that are 43 miles away I have a full-time attendent who preps cars ALL DAY & takes care of nearly all repair.s he is paid about $700/week & I still make more than that in profit.

MEP001

Reaction score
He offered me a partnership deal to manage them, and I'm seriously considering it.

Roz

Reaction score
While it is hard to phone in the work technology and smart implementation does make it easier to handle, monitor, reduce or eliminate many issues.

I can control the IBA remotely if a customer has an issue and you can control the SS bays remotely too with simple technology (all via an iPhone) - even the vending machine inventory & sales is monitored remotely. The HD cameras cover and record entire location to minimize customer issues, and I have many simple Wyze cameras (https://www.wyzecam.com) in the equipment room with various alarms programmed so I can monitor the chemicals, the pumps, the changer, and the equipment room. I put a simple auto release on the compressor so it releases the small amount of water that accumulates each hour, one less check list item that is handled by technology. You can purchase internet controllable electrical sockets for minimal expense (which allows me to turn on the heating tape in the troth if I want to add extra warmth to the lines in the event that the floor heating system is not enough for the troth). Garbage can be changed from trash cans to refuse bins that the refuse company pick up on their truck so a person does not need to handle. You can move more revenue toward credit cards, gift cards, and tokens which reduces the risk too.

Just this week I noticed a small amount of water on the floor via a camera so I knew to go to the equipment room to track down the leak (a pinhole leak in a fitting).

Technology Does not address the customers too lazy to place garbage in the bins instead of the floor, or hang the hoses that customers leave tied into a knot however it does reduce the need to live at the car wash all the time. This being said, if you have a very busy location I do think the data shows that an onsite attendant being present for 40 hours a week can help increase revenue more than their cost.

Randy

Reaction score
I had a customer who had 5 car washes, he now has moved 1500 miles away. In the last couple of years he’s closed 3 of the car washes, he can’t seem to find reliable help. He’s leasing out one of the car washes, it’s turned into an absolute dump. The other one isn’t in the best condition, but it’s open. He’s been trying to sell them for land value and he’s getting very little interest in them.

MEP001

Reaction score
I can control the IBA remotely if a customer has an issue and you can control the SS bays remotely too with simple technology (all via an iPhone) - even the vending machine inventory & sales is monitored remotely.
That just gave me the thought of something like an electronic drop-shelf vendor (Probably mounted inside the ER with a slot through the wall for delivery) to give customers who call with a problem a refund packet while they're still on-site.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
That just gave me the thought of something like an electronic drop-shelf vendor (Probably mounted inside the ER with a slot through the wall for delivery) to give customers who call with a problem a refund packet while they're still on-site.
That is where dollar coins would be nicer less volume in packet. I suppose some electronic merchant fee based systems might allow instant reversal of a payment while on the phone???

rshiggaon

Reaction score
While it is hard to phone in the work technology and smart implementation does make it easier to handle, monitor, reduce or eliminate many issues.

I can control the IBA remotely if a customer has an issue and you can control the SS bays remotely too with simple technology (all via an iPhone) - even the vending machine inventory & sales is monitored remotely. The HD cameras cover and record entire location to minimize customer issues, and I have many simple Wyze cameras (https://www.wyzecam.com) in the equipment room with various alarms programmed so I can monitor the chemicals, the pumps, the changer, and the equipment room. I put a simple auto release on the compressor so it releases the small amount of water that accumulates each hour, one less check list item that is handled by technology. You can purchase internet controllable electrical sockets for minimal expense (which allows me to turn on the heating tape in the troth if I want to add extra warmth to the lines in the event that the floor heating system is not enough for the troth). Garbage can be changed from trash cans to refuse bins that the refuse company pick up on their truck so a person does not need to handle. You can move more revenue toward credit cards, gift cards, and tokens which reduces the risk too.

Just this week I noticed a small amount of water on the floor via a camera so I knew to go to the equipment room to track down the leak (a pinhole leak in a fitting).

Technology Does not address the customers too lazy to place garbage in the bins instead of the floor, or hang the hoses that customers leave tied into a knot however it does reduce the need to live at the car wash all the time. This being said, if you have a very busy location I do think the data shows that an onsite attendant being present for 40 hours a week can help increase revenue more than their cost.
Can you please tell us what technology you use to control SS bays + vending machines and also sales remotely?

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
For our particular situation (relatively small carwash in a country town) I think it would be basically impossible to own the carwash remotely. It seems to me that the whole question comes down to two things - (1) Can you find someone skilled and trustworthy enough to run the wash, and (2) Once you pay them, is the wash financially viable? For our particular wash, the answer is a definite "no".

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Owning a car wash is easy. Operating it well is a different story. Age old conundrum. Find a person qualified to run it well, compensate them adequately, and still have something left over at the end of the year.

mac

Reaction score
Is there a reason you don’t see chains of self serves?

Etowah