What's new

Remote Access Public Address (PA) System

TurboJet

Reaction score
Anyone have a remote access PA system?

I've searched the Internet high and low without any luck for a system that I can access remotely to make an announcement over my outside speakers if I see any suspicious activity. My current 16 channel security camera DVR does not have this capability. Only audio receiving which I do not use and really have no need for.

I have a phone line and ADSL line to my site. No PC computer. I would like to dial in or connect in some other manner through ADSL.

Possible? Anyone have such a set-up they are willing to share details about what they have and how it works? Thanks.

TurboJet

Reaction score
Thanks. Will investigate. Wondering if that audio card can only be used with their DVRs. If not, then a definite option.

MDrost1

Reaction score
This camera seems to have an audio out. You could send the audio output to a powered speaker or PA system, and address people remotely. Thoughts?

TurboJet

Reaction score
MD. Came across the IP cameras. These what you are referring to? Some of these have audio out and in jacks.

Could use them as the method for a PA system. Not so much for the video. Plus they seem to have smartphone interfaces.

Fairly inexpensive option just add an amp to some speakers. Basically beef up a baby monitor set up. An option for sure.

MDrost1

Reaction score
Yes. That's what I was thinking. I have a dropcam that allows me to talk to people in the eq room. If the IP cam has an audio out, plug it in to your PA system and you should be good to go. I have never done this, so I can't confirm if it will work as you need. But, seems to be an option.

chaz

Reaction score
I DO have a security system with two way audio. Switching out your DVR may be the best option.

Here's what I have... In the ER: amp and microphone (so I can use the PA when on sight). In each bay: PA speaker. On lot: one front and one rear speaker. PA system works as a stand alone system that ties into my video system. I can log on with my iPad and turn on the mic and then with my iPhone turn on the audio and listen to make sure my voice is clear. Works great and love it.

TurboJet

Reaction score
I agree, changing my DVR with these capabilities would likely be the best option. Mine is 16 channel about 4 years old. With DVRs you just don't know, could die anytime or keep going. Like all electronics, people tend to upgrade when the technology hits a certain price point.

Chaz, what brand DVR do you have?

The nanny type IP camera beefed up though, is a low cost option alternative as a possible interim measure.

Things to consider as well on a DVR change is it seems its all going HiDef, my cameras are still all analog.

chaz

Reaction score
My DVR is from a local supplier, that I just found out is now closed do to the death of the owner. I have a 32 came system, but even my 8 camera home system has the audio in and audio out RCA jack. I am surprised yours doesn't. I also have mine set to send me snap shots anytime anyone enters the ER and or opens the change machine door.

Many of my cameras are 8 years old (using the coax and low voltage powe cable, not the phone plug style connector) the cameras work fine, just not as good quality as newer cameras. I'm not using the camera that each have their own IP address.

Using a nanny camera (like the WeMo) I'm guessing would not have enough sound power, though I do love that camera I use it to watch my dogs. If you figure how to make that more powerful, please share.