What's new

Reject water for soap mixing?

Etowah

patkelly1336

Reaction score
When I first started working at the car wash business I work for, we used to have rich foam that coated cars and cleaned very well. But over the years, things have changed for the worse. At 3 of our locations, they plumbed the RO reject water to the water tank for the Hydraflex units. At first, we had issues keeping the tank full of water for use with the 3 Hydraflex wall units. We installed two filtered inlet valves to alleviate that problem. At some point in time, the owner decided to plumb the reject water into the Hydraflex tank to prevent low water issues. The tank is about 100 gallons with an overflow. Each tank has a set of 2 filtered 1 inch inlets on float valves. We run our tunnel at about 90 cars per hour on a dual conveyor system.

To better understand what I am asking. Our wash has a FastPass system with a couple thousand members. On a good summer day, each locations will wash about 450 cars. On a good winter day, each location will wash about 750 cars. We used to use 3 color low pH conditioner for the prefoamer and 3 color clear coat polish for the triple foamer. We now use single color neutral pH for the prefoamer and follow it with the original 3 color polish.

Lately, our foam has been very watery and runs off vehicles before the brush wash process. My opinion is that this is because of the reject plumbed into the soap water, but could I be wrong about that? We have two 20k GPD RO units plumbed into the Hydraflex tank. We used to use hyper concentrates but went back to RTU drums because of costs and clogged tips.

Also we are on a well system with triple softeners and a sand filter. The well pump is VFD controlled and never drops below 60 psi. Is it the reject water causing no foam issues, or could it be something else. Thanks everyone

MC3033

Reaction score
If the color on the tri foam still looks good then the lack of foaming is likely from the reject water. I’ve never tried reject water on soaps (nor would I)