What's new

Refusing Services

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a short list of people that I do not want around the wash or detail shop. You know the type; maybe they stole or they solicit freebies from employees or talk $hit to others after a justified and well-documented dismissal.

Regardless of the reason, how do you handle refusing to serve certain customers that are a 'bad fit' for your company? I'm not talking restraining order, just a quick explanation to them followed by a please and thank you very much.

TIA Waxman

UponTheSquare

Reaction score
In general I limit refusal of services to people who have (on more than one occasion) tried to scam us into repairing something that was not even remotely our responsibility, people who come try to get a free wash EVERY time they come. "Last time I was here (which is usually days or WEEKS earlier) you guys did a sh*tty job, give me one of those forms to fill out". And last, but not least, the ones who are just obnoxious, belligerent people who will never be happy regardless of what you do for them. You know the type, "I need to go through two times because you never do a good job the first time", so the guys spend an undue amount of time prepping the car and they still come back complaining that this or that isn't perfect.

I always keep it civil though. Well, not so much with the scammers, them I tend to tell "Get off my property and don't come back".

With those who can never be pleased or are always angling for a free wash I simply let them know that "I'm sincerely sorry that we can't provide the level of service that you are looking for, perhaps your needs will be better filled elsewhere. There's a laser wash down the street, and another tunnel in the town over, maybe you'll have better luck with them." After that they generally don't come back, or stop complaining.

It always pains me to turn down money, but there come's a point when bending over backwards breaks your back.

soapy

Reaction score
The local city has me called the police whenever I have troubles with panhandlers. I call the police and they come over and give them a no trespass order. The person is advised that if he ever sets foot on the property again they will be arrested for tresspass on the spot. It is your right as a property owner to do this and the police are happy to do it.

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO a "please and thank you very much" is wasted on someone like that. I've had to fire a few customers over the years, and I've told them calmly and plainly that they are not welcome on the property. I don't apologize because it's their actions and their fault they're being banned. A few were belligerent (For some reason they think it's a public place and they can come whenever and do whatever they want), and when they are I immediately call the police and have them issue a criminal trespass warrant. I know that's not what you asked, but believe me when they think they have some right you may just have to set them straight with force.

trentu

Reaction score
I have instructed my employees to explain "we appreciate that they like our wash, but we would like them to take their business elsewhere, thank you."

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I guess I am old fashioned. I just would tell them that i don't want their business and ask them not to return. I agree that usually being overly polite to those customers gets you nowhere and they think you are soft. There are enough headaches and problems in this business and you don't need a pain in the a$$ customer to add to them.

mmurra

Reaction score
We have a sign reading "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and rarely use it. Our process is to have an owner agree if the staff wants to eject someone. We need to agree that the customer is a "one in one thousand" who we cannot sevice without compromising our core principles. This empowers our staff, knowing they can do it and it prevents me from kicking out the 1 in 100, I want to boot!

MudMoney

Reaction score
I keep it simple also,no please or apology.I direct them to another carwash and don't come back.