What's new

Reducing Winter Troubles and Utility Costs in SS Bays

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Greeting Everyone!

It is that time of year again where I start to envision those high utility bills and ever increasing problems that only make themselves known in sub-freezing temperatures. One thing that I've pondered over the past couple of weeks is whether closing off my bays so that they would be drive in, back out vs. the drive through and whether that will reduce my floor heat costs as well as keeping the pass through wind (my bays face East/West) from causing some of the freezing issues I've had in the past. I know this will not be a complete fix-it situation, but will I see any benefits to doing this or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

For those of you that are interested, my site layout looks like this...

I would also be using materials similar to these for closing on the 14'6" wide by 12' tall exit on the east side of my bays. I'm not 100% positive what I would use to cover the studs, but it would need to be cost effective to ensure that I am actually saving money or otherwise I'm just doing more work for the sake of doing more work.

As always, any and all input is appreciated.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think it's a lot of work for nothing. With only one end closed the bays will retain little if any heat. Whiie wind will cool things more quickly "Wind Chill" is mostly irrelevant with inanimate objects.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That is honestly what I was thinking, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least ask the question.

Reds

Reaction score
You may also cause an issue with people having to back out while someone else is in line behind them. If your entry is on the vac side they could also back into your vacs. My vacs are on the exit side and I have had several people back into them trying to turn around after getting change.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have roll up doors on all bays. We close them at night and it saves on floor heat.

Drive in back out is retraining your customer plus more dangerous plus you have to un-re-train the customer in Spring.

This idea is a non-starter.

Doug P.

Reaction score
The "Wind Chill" affects anything that is warmer than the ambient temperature. Enclosing one end would significantly lower the demand on your underfloor heat. Some operators put a cheap roll up door on one end to accomplish this. The Super Wash chain uses the roll up doors at most of their locations.

Doug P.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
The "Wind Chill" affects anything that is warmer than the ambient temperature. Enclosing one end would significantly lower the demand on your underfloor heat. Some operators put a cheap roll up door on one end to accomplish this. The Super Wash chain uses the roll up doors at most of their locations.

Doug P.
Agree...I have doors on both ends of my car SS bays. The north doors (exit) stay down most of the winter. You will notice a savings. Its less work on your back too. No breaking up ice from weep water. If we get a warmer than average busy day I raise them. If it is going to be severly cold (single digits) I close all doors (enter and exit). Its cheaper to keep the heat level stable in the bays. I might have 3 customers get turned away but its cheaper than reheating after every wash. Sometimes I will leave one open for those that are hardcore. If it gets lots of snow and ice chunks I don't even clean it. Drop both doors and open the next bay. Let the floor melt it. We also used spray foam insulation on the ceiling in every bay. THAT is one where you will notice savings. Either of these things, or both, will save you some $$$.

AJ

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for a reasonably priced door that will fill an opening 14'6" wide by 12' tall? Overcoming the sticker shock is what enticed me to looking at the steel stud option for the winter at least.

wash4me

Reaction score

Doug P.
This is correct. Uponor has a wind loss chart for snowmelt systems in their install guide. Wind is a substantial factor......my memory says it could be 30-40%. That being said the more you can dial in the floor heat system the more savings you will see.

SHINEY2

Reaction score
I always close and lock my exit doors thanksgiving thru march - they are on the west side. I put a laminated sign on both sides of the exit doors that says "This side locked to prevent freeze up" I do unlock the exit side if the daytime high is above 25 degrees. otherwise the exit doors stay locked and people must back out.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
This is correct. Uponor has a wind loss chart for snowmelt systems in their install guide. Wind is a substantial factor......my memory says it could be 30-40%. That being said the more you can dial in the floor heat system the more savings you will see.
I agree & would also like to add the following: From experience we notice a significant "tunnel venturi type of wind acceleration effect" when both of our doors are open in a self service bay vs having one closed.

washme1

Reaction score
I have a 5/1. Left to right, 2 ss bays, automatic, equip rm, 3 ss bays. Here is what I did. It is one of the best investments I've made. I have metal exit doors on ss bays that I lock in cold weather. I installed polycarbonate doors on the entrances with a clear panel second from bottom. I put openers on the three busiest bays on the right with automatic closers/photo eyes. I put a sign at eye level of driver on exit door which says, "Look Before Backing, Entrance Door May Close Automatically." I installed hardware on exterior of the 2 other ss bays so I can lock them with a dbl loop metal cable and padlock. Put inexpensive laminated paper sign attached with Velcro inside clear panel which says, "Bay Closed Please Use Bays To The East." I close those bays during slow times, turning off lights and weep. I installed loops in the concrete about 12' in front of doors that have openers. Customer pulls up, door opens automatically, customer closes door w button inside, door closes automatically by adjustable timer when they leave. Installed loops in floor inside bay to override opener if in use. Sign on building says, "HEATED BAYS." Bays are comfortable from floor heat, customer washes longer, soap no longer freezes on vehicle, no fb anti freeze, many times no weep required, no stalagmites of ice from wheel wells, much more comfortable environment to work in. Surveillance video a must to guard damage to doors. Cost about $35k including custom poly headers I required for my application.