What's new

Reducing demand charges

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
What have you guys found to be the most cost effective way to reduce your demand charges? Capacitor banks, VFD's, higher power factor motors, solar power??? I'm mostly focusing on the pump motors rather than lighting ballasts.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I found out that the local power authority here uses a 15 minute interval average to determine KW. So, for that reason (if yours is similar), I don't think there is much you can do without self generating power. They aren't looking at the instantaneous demand the way the old meters used to... The old type worked by literally pushing a needle which would stick in place as the 'highest' reading for the month, and they would determine billing based off of that. The new electronic meters auto-calculate the demand average over 15 minutes.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
You would need to talk to your power authority do determine how they calculate it to have an educated answer.

chrskmbr

Reaction score
VFD/soft start, and starting all motors consecutively instead of all at he same time. But like JGinther said, we have that type of read I've looked into it, and the besst option is Battery given power past a certian amp draw during the day with an overnight it would recharge. It takes alot of data on getting that info to a place that would sell you that. I've actually been talking to a company for some time, I can get you their info if you message me. These batteries will take up some space though. Install cost to money saved, (payback) looks to be about 5-6 years as well.

xcite

Reaction score
vfd'd will save you money with larger motors, smaller motors not so much. Led lighting can save alot if done right.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I put solar panels on the roof of one of my washes two weeks ago. We'll see how it goes...

Allan

Reaction score
I worked for a billing software company 20 years ago & I’ve since kept up with billing trends. Solar and other things you add and change to reduce your utility cost (electrical, water/sewage, & trash) but did you know your may be entitled to getting money back on your utility charges. Going back years on your utility bills is a task, but some car washes have seen $14k back and getting their utility rates to a fair level. I will be happy to assist any business that been in service for at least 3 to 5 years to get these types of saving back and bring their rates to a fair level.

MC3033

Reaction score
VFDs are helpful but usually offer a weak ROI. Keep in mind you are giving up power to get savings from a VFD

Soft starts will not reduce demand.

I’d be very curious on a capacitor bank or industrial battery. I believe they make battery systems that can help reduce demand but I’m sure it will cost $$$

Creating your own power to help is great but unless you use a generator you will need a big ol battery

washnvac

Reaction score
I increased starts between my dryers (some are 10 hp, some are 15hp) to 3.5 seconds. On all my equipment they were starting with 2 seconds between each one. With a meter, I found that the first motor was not back down to regular "running" amps when the second started, and so on. This really spiked the initial draw amperage.

At every location I installed the delay timers to space 3.5 seconds between start ups, the demand went down. I do not recall specifically how much, but I think it was 5-10kW depending on hp of dryers at the location. This is well worth the cost of a $30 delay timer for each dryer unit, and is simple to do.

Allan

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, We recently help find over $10,000 in savings for Touchless Carwash in San Diego, Ca. Getting a independent review of your utility (electric, gas, water/sewage. & trash) current utility billing can save you thousands and correct your utility rates. There is no out of pocket cost to have a utility review done, let me know if anyone is interested.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, We recently help find over $10,000 in savings for Touchless Carwash in San Diego, Ca. Getting a independent review of your utility (electric, gas, water/sewage. & trash) current utility billing can save you thousands and correct your utility rates. There is no out of pocket cost to have a utility review done, let me know if anyone is interested.
Well, my yearly electric cost is $8100, so we may not save that much! Van u come to Texarkana, Tx & gimme a hand?

Etowah

sparkey

Reaction score
You need to be looking at power factor as a way to reduce your demand. Inductive loads or motors shift the power factor so the voltage and current are no longer in phase which waste power. Some of the better VFD's have a powerfactor of 1 which is perfect so they do help. Adding capacitors will also help on an inductive load because it makes the powerfactor closer to 1. Keep in mind you need to measure your power factor to determine if current is leading or lagging voltage before you just add capacitors because if your site is already a capacitive load you would need to add inductors or it will make it worse.

Allan

Reaction score
Well, my yearly electric cost is $8100, so we may not save that much! Van u come to Texarkana, Tx & gimme a hand?
Hello,

We never have to be at your business location, most of our work is done by reviewing your most recent utility (electric, gas, water/sewage, & trash.) We work with large commercial businesses & resident buildings for over 20 years like Sam Adams Brewery, Honeywell, Dick's Sporting Goods, Thor Industries, & many more throughout the US & Canada. I grew up working in my family Carwash & laundromat business as a kid and wanted to provide this valued service to small businesses. Every penny you can save helps. Please email me if your interested at allan@jayacomholdings.com