What's new

Red Cryptopay buttons

OurTown

Reaction score
We are considering switching our green buttons to red in our three self serve bay swipers. After nearly a year and a half of going to count up we still have people leave the bay running. I'm sure 99% of the time it is a first time customer. (or first time using a card) Normally either we don't hear from them or they contact us and we refund the difference based on what we estimate they used. Of course have instruction signs right next to the swipers and a while back revised them with less wording hoping someone might actually read them. About a week ago a guy uses a bay and then after a few minutes looks at the swiper and timer carefully and then gets in his car and leaves. I know you can't fix stupid but count up really is a foreign concept to most people. He immediately gives us a 2 star rating on Google so as always we respond respectfully asking questions about what went wrong and how we can earn his 5 stars. Three days later he gets on Yelp and gives us a 1 star review stating we grossly overcharged him. We again respectfully respond for him to give us some details and we will get it resolved ASAP and included our phone number. A few days after that he gets back on Google and changes his 2 star rating to a 1 star review stating something similar to what he said on Yelp. This all could have been prevented if he pushed the effing button on the swiper when done washing. Of course he still has not called yet and we flagged the Google review as a potential competitor. (not that Google will do anything) Has anyone swapped out their green buttons for red ones? (PV6H240SS-311) We may also put those rotary switch stop decals on the swiper too.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/e-switch/PV6H240SS-311/3915292

traveler17

Reaction score
Sadly as you stated you can’t fix stupid. I don’t think putting a red button helps. They still have to read but I guess it’s worth a try. Nothing worse than people giving a brutal review and them not responding. Same experience a couple times. Not a fan of google reviews….unless it’s a good one of course 😬

OurTown

Reaction score
I added a note to my cryptopay, bay sign instructions. "You MUST push the STOP button to end charges!" Stopped 99% of my complaints.

We have something similar.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm not sure this will help and might confuse some.

IMG_20220609_182054293_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Roz

OurTown

Reaction score
How about a sign that says:

1.Swipe

2.Wash

3.Press green button to stop

What about a sign like Ikea assembly instructions? I still like the red button idea and I could swear there was someone on here that has them. The more we can deal with the strange way people think these days the more successful we will be. The behavior I have witnessed in the last two years makes me think that people are devolving.

traveler17

Reaction score
How about a sign that says:

1.Swipe

2.Wash

3.Press green button to stop

What about a sign like Ikea assembly instructions? I still like the red button idea and I could swear there was someone on here that has them. The more we can deal with the strange way people think these days the more successful we will be. The behavior I have witnessed in the last two years makes me think that people are devolving.
Agreed !! ……w/ the last sentence

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Every year we figure out the high average used and make that the shut off time.
If they need more time they have to swipe the credit card again.
Minimum time is $4.00 and this years max time is $9.86. Last years max was $9.72.
So if a customer forgets to press stop it will automatically stop at $9.86.
If a customer looks at their credit card statement the most they see is $9.86 and doesn’t think about it.
We’ve been doing this for at least 10 years.

Last edited:

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
I added a note to my cryptopay, bay sign instructions. "You MUST push the STOP button to end charges!" Stopped 99% of my complaints.
My suggestion is Don't use the word PUSH.. We use TAP the button to end charges.. TAP helps tremendously..

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
I'm tired from reading ALL the signs! My opinion, while they convey A LOT of information, it may be intimidating to a new customer.
You may be right, it only averages 38K per month for a 6 bay SS without a Automatic so if I got rid of some stickers on the faceplate it would probably do better.. I'll have to think about it.. Thanks for the suggestion..