What's new

Recourse

Etowah

slash007

Reaction score
Just a thought...
Rent a dump truck and return his mud at night in his driveway
Lol whenever I see trash right next a vehicle thats vacumming, I just want to tell them to throw it in the trash can right next to their car, but since I usualy don't see them put it there, I know I'm going to get either "I was going to do that when I finished" or "it's not mine". Since I'm not sure, I don't say anything. But if I actually see them throw it out, I've actually put it back in their car and said "I think this fell out of your car"

slash007

Reaction score
I like jack954's sign. The "ETC." at the end lets you include anything you want, and the fine posted should let you come after the bozo. I've been told a number of stories about posting a sign on private property that includes a fine, and the police or sheriff's office going after someone for it. A "No dumping" sign is there for the guy who reads and respects rules, a sign with a fine is there for the ones who don't.
It's a great sign. I actually have told people for years that it's called criminal littering and they will get at $300 fine in the mail for it. If they refuse to clean up or give me attitude, I just tell them no sweat, enjoy the $300 fine. I won't get anything, but the city loves it when I send them violaters. I then take a picture of their plate and walk away and almost always they clean up.

traveler17

Reaction score
Signs may make you feel good but people like that probably have a hard time reading. Here is what I would do. Get his home address. Call a truck/dirt supplier. Have them dump a full load in his driveway. Tell the truck company you are going to do a lot of landscaping. Pay them in cash.
Agreed

traveler17

Reaction score
Sorry for that headache. Before joining this forum I felt like I was the only one who dealt with these kind of issues. i wish my cameras were up years ago when I bought my place. Some dirtbag left a dead dog in a vacuum island trash can. What i would give to find that pos

KleanRide

Reaction score
I watched a guy on camera last night dump a five gallon bucket of drywall mud into one of my pits. Then he came back this morning to vacuum his truck while I was shoveling out the pit. I pulled out my phone and showed him the video of himself. He was still wearing the same shirt from last night, but he said, "that ain't me in that video, bruh."

Whatever, bruh. Now to go along with the video I have a nice closeup photo of you, your plates, your truck, and the empty mud bucket in the bed. All of which were sent to the cops this afternoon.

Have any of y'all seen the movie Idiocracy? We have arrived there, but 500 years ahead of schedule.

traveler17

Reaction score
I watched a guy on camera last night dump a five gallon bucket of drywall mud into one of my pits. Then he came back this morning to vacuum his truck while I was shoveling out the pit. I pulled out my phone and showed him the video of himself. He was still wearing the same shirt from last night, but he said, "that ain't me in that video, bruh."

Whatever, bruh. Now to go along with the video I have a nice closeup photo of you, your plates, your truck, and the empty mud bucket in the bed. All of which were sent to the cops this afternoon.

Have any of y'all seen the movie Idiocracy? We have arrived there, but 500 years ahead of schedule.
what vindication!! glad Ya got’em

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Had the exact same thing happen to me 2 months ago with a bobcat covered in mud. Looked up the lic plate went to their place of business with a reciept for the last pit cleaning by the vac truck. Spoke with the owner and said this goes 1 of 2 ways.....you pay $1500 plus an additional $500 for my guys labor cleaning up the mess your guys left or I will see you in court.

Walked out with a $2,000 check 30 mins later.

Thats bulls%#t that guy did that to you slash

Twodose

Reaction score
I see you reported the incident. If you had this guys license # I would have asked the cop to get me his insurance info and file a claim with his insurance co. Its better than arguing with these type of people and they will never want to pay you what is was worth to clean up behind them.

Last edited:

New Washdog

Reaction score
Just a thought...
Rent a dump truck and return his mud at night in his driveway
I would like to say, opt for 3" stone load covered with a layer of fresh manure. The stone is hard to shovel and you know the reason for the other. But realistically I'd see where the legal route goes.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
At a minimum you should have him no trespassed from the property, or if possible get a restraining order against him preventing from coming back.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
He might not be able to get a criminal trespass warrant without the guy on the property. I know I can't. A restraining order may be hard to get unless there was something like an assault involved.

slash007

Reaction score
So far I just paid to get the police report online, says I should be sent a link within 3 business days. We'll see after that. I don't see the guy coming back. so the goal now is to do whatever I can to make him pay for it.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I know the feeling here are a couple pictures of some ignorant customers washing out a concrete mixer into my pit and tracked it all over my lot. Report was made with our Sheriff's Department because we got their plate numbers and business name from our cameras.

20200725224504480_15f4a4e9d03243359a71cb6efba3b76f_144710523.jpg

20200725224626938_15f4a4e9d03243359a71cb6efba3b76f_144710523.jpg

Twodose

Reaction score
Take a picture and post it on the front of your change machine stating that there are other people that use this carwash, I have done it for truckbed washers and people who spray mulch, coal out of the back of their trucks. I don't want them coming back, and others will agree.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It seems like in similar instances like described ... & our car wash has had our share of them ... it comes down to if the local authorities force the small business owner to fend for his or herself a bit too much.

I am referring to the local authorities not helping by pretending that an incident is civil when it really is a violation of a law or should be classified as a violation of the law. If the officer(s) & or city attorney's office takes sides with the perp(s) ... it definitely seems to be a lot tougher.

Maybe finding ways to get the better authorities ELECTED who are supposed to have final supervision could help each of our local situations!

slash007

Reaction score
So today I officially started a criminal complaint. Lo and behold 2 hours after I emailed the prosecutor, I get a text from the mud guy saying he's cooled down and would like to see how he can make it right. Then I spoke to the prosecutor who said that he did just reach out to the offender and let him know that it is criminal mischief. He suggested I try and work it out with him, and if no luck he will prosecute. Said that to get any money I would have to file small claims though. So far I texted the guy back and no response, so we'll see.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
slash))& quote: "He suggested I try and work it out with him, and if no luck he will prosecute."

It seems like you were blessed by a prosecutor who actually did some good. Less stressful in more than one way.

Based on past experience (ups & downs) ... even with solid enough evidence ... it seems like some local prosecutors &/or city attorney staff would just ignore attempts to email them. I don't think there is any question that the "mud guy" came around because of the prosecutor's office contacting the "mud guy".

IMHO ... many local city-county-appropriate authorities "miss the boat" when it comes to seeing their role as a "peacemaker".

slash007

Reaction score
The prosecutor did say the best course is to go to small claims, but due to it being over $500, it would qualify to criminal mischief 2nd degree. My brother walked by earlier and I was laughing, and when he asked why, it's because I had just received a text from the offender and he "had a change of heart" lol. It has been over an hour now though since I texted him, so I guess he's still going to make me go after him criminally and in small claims court.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The prosecutor did say the best course is to go to small claims, but due to it being over $500, it would qualify to criminal mischief 2nd degree. My brother walked by earlier and I was laughing, and when he asked why, it's because I had just received a text from the offender and he "had a change of heart" lol. It has been over an hour now though since I texted him, so I guess he's still going to make me go after him criminally and in small claims court.
How much burden of proof that it actually was over $500 in damage would be required???