What's new

Reconditioned Automatic

Undertaker II

Reaction score
Has anyone opted to install a reconditioned 5/6 year old automatic versus new? I've currently got a Laser 4000 with an ailing bridge which is steel and was contemplating changing just the bridge out but I have a guy with a 360 that he's rebuilding and would install and give a 1 year warranty. Price is fair. Just looking for experiences going this way as opposed to brand new. Thanks. Kevin

MEP001

Reaction score
As long as the guy is reputable and preferably backs the refurbished unit up with some kind of warranty. There was a guy here in town who was buying used Laser 4000s, for like $2000, doing minimal weld repair on the frame (or in some cases just spraying them with Krylon), then reselling them as refurbished for $30,000.

soonermajic

Reaction score
As long as the guy is reputable and preferably backs the refurbished unit up with some kind of warranty. There was a guy here in town who was buying used Laser 4000s, for like $2000, doing minimal weld repair on the frame (or in some cases just spraying them with Krylon), then reselling them as refurbished for $30,000.
Heard about that guy. Luckily 2 guys warned me about him, as Inwas about to use him for a LW.
Got another guy named Arnold, who did a fantastic job!

soonermajic

Reaction score
Back to the OP: Id definately do the refurb unit, if it is REALLY refurbed!

mac

Reaction score
I used to redo old Ryko units many years ago. Got them for next to nothing, completely stripped EVERYTHING, made modifications, then painted with top of line paint in custom colors. Even put custom colors for new brushes. They looked better than the new ones. Sold them for about half of new and it must have really upset Ryko as their lawyer kept sending me letters. So it all depends on who is doing the work.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I would do it so long as they gave a warranty on their work

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you are a DIY guy in the for sale forum I have two used lasers that are non operational, but the steel bridges appear to still be in good shape (from a corrosion standpoint).

Bud's

Reaction score
I'm refurbishing one now for myself.
Can the input and output cards be refurbished?
Has anyone converted from cards to PLC?

washnshine

Reaction score
I used to redo old Ryko units many years ago. Got them for next to nothing, completely stripped EVERYTHING, made modifications, then painted with top of line paint in custom colors. Even put custom colors for new brushes. They looked better than the new ones. Sold them for about half of new and it must have really upset Ryko as their lawyer kept sending me letters. So it all depends on who is doing the work.
Isn’t that what Astromatic does? Does Ryko have a problem with them doing that?

Kinda like GM getting upset if someone buys a used Chevy, works on the engine, paints it and then sells it.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably more like buying an iPhone and trying to get it fixed somewhere other than an Apple store. They have actually coded into the phone for it to quit working if it detects an aftermarket home button. Apple is constantly suing stores that repair their products.

mac

Reaction score
Astromatic started dedoing them when I sold and left Texas. The guy Kevin was an absolute jerk. We are talking weapons grade stupidity. And trust me, no one did a better job than I did. Like Babe Ruth once said, "If you can do it, it ain't bragging." The ones I turned out looked better than factory new. And you could choose whatever colors you wanted. It was Imron paint I used.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
It's probably more like buying an iPhone and trying to get it fixed somewhere other than an Apple store. They have actually coded into the phone for it to quit working if it detects an aftermarket home button. Apple is constantly suing stores that repair their products.
This brings up an issue I'm passionate about. Be sure to choose a side and stay educated! John Deere and Apple are on my ****list. Buying stuff used to mean that you owned it. https://repair.org/stand-up

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
Astromatic started dedoing them when I sold and left Texas. The guy Kevin was an absolute jerk. We are talking weapons grade stupidity. And trust me, no one did a better job than I did. Like Babe Ruth once said, "If you can do it, it ain't bragging." The ones I turned out looked better than factory new. And you could choose whatever colors you wanted. It was Imron paint I used.
Mac, why don't you come refurb a used IBA for me, in NE, Tx...

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Are you still doing that?