What's new

Recommendations for an air compressor?

Scrub Free

Reaction score
2 years ago I replaced my 12 year old speed air with a new one, of course I have nothing but problems since day one. Leaking oil, eating belts ect.. Grainger and speed air did not help, but did a good job of putting me out of warranty.
I believe Ingersoll rand is still a good product any opinions?

MEP001

Reaction score
I/R is a decent compressor except for the motors. I'd go with a Husky or Campbell Hausfeld before another I/R.

Any compressor rated continuous duty and properly broken in should last many years. Did you run the break-in procedure on your Speedaire?

The "eating belts" issue is either an alignment problem or too little tension, should have been an easy fix.

This should be a good unit: http://www.rolair.net/air-compressors/electric-stationary/index.html

Eric H

Reaction score
I see you are not too far from me...
I recently bought a Champion compressor from D.R. Gilbealt (formally Air Compressor Rebuilders) here in Leominster. So far I have not had any problems.
They have a location not too far from you in Hudson, NH. http://www.drgair.com/contact.html
I found their prices to be in line with most of the online retailers but I can get local service if necessary.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
like eric i bought a champion centurion 2 from air compressor rebuilders in leominster ma. one of the best pieces of equipment at my wash!

MEP001

Reaction score
There was one line, don't recall the name, that runs a 1750 RPM motor to under-run the pump speed to extend life. They mount the compressor on a bracket to allow airflow under it for extra cooling of the crankcase.

Overachiever

Reaction score
I bought a 5HP 2 stage 80 gallon from https://www.eatoncompressor.com/ two years ago based on some recommendations here.

It's been great and has a 5 year warranty. Only issue so far was the auto-drain failed and I called them up and they sent me a new one.

It's super quiet when its running (compared to the one we had previously).

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I bought a 5HP 2 stage 80 gallon from https://www.eatoncompressor.com/ two years ago based on some recommendations here.

It's been great and has a 5 year warranty. Only issue so far was the auto-drain failed and I called them up and they sent me a new one.

It's super quiet when its running (compared to the one we had previously).

Hey I can say I have a eaton compressor/Polar Air a 60 gallon 2 stage 3 phase power I have had it over two years on my Laserwash runs great smooth machine. I have recommended to other a small USA company I support. Keep jobs and quality in america.

WikiWash

Reaction score
I have my 15 year old Saylor-Beall that still runs like a champ that has provided air for my very busy 3 bays of automatics. All I have ever done is change the oil and I also have an automatic drain valve installed.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
A continuous duty lower rpm Quincy from what I have gathered would be a good choice. We have a small 2 cylinder Quincy (roofers model) that needs a rebuild now but that was after over 30 years of very heavy use.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input I will check all the suggestions.
As far as break in guess I didn't know there was one. I have other commercial compressors, different application, that I did not "break in" and had no issues with. The next one I Will certainly check on before putting in service. Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
The manual will have the break-in procedure if there is one. As a rule, if they come with the crankcase filled with oil they've already been run in and tested. I've replaced a lot of compressors that weren't properly broken in and they would let some oil into the air and eventually lock up because no one checked the oil level.

Semi-retired

Reaction score
I've had 3 eaton air units over 8 years at one location. The first two lasting 4 years with work

2- two stage rpm lowered to minimum, new valves and a whole new head based on eatons rec.( head was warranty) then it failed again. I gave up and went to a larger cfm 3 piston eaton and have it spinning on the high rpm side for the last four years.
In my experience changing to lower rpm put more heat in the unit and may have caused some issues. I will now run them all faster with hopes that they cool down in between cycles.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
My speed air came with oil, and has leaked from just about every spot since day one fortunately we have always kept up with the oil level. I begged them to replace the heads but they insisted on repairs that never held up. I'm just considering it a Friday build and no longer interested in the risk of failure. I think I'm going a bit larger this time.

Carver

Reaction score
I would recommend you replace it with a name brand like Ingersall Rand. But keep in mind all Air Compressors use some oil and slight oil seepage around the Head is not uncommon.

MEP001

Reaction score
The oil use/seepage in a compressor should be so minimal that you shouldn't see a drop in oil level in a year of heavy use.

Up to about 10 years ago Speedaire compressors didn't come with oil in the crankcase which makes me think you got one that someone bought, filled with oil and returned. I've installed many Speedaire compressors and they've always come with a white label wrapped around the oil fill warning the user to fill it before use.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
Eric h and Waxman thanks I used air compressor rebuilders and the price was excellent. I got the centurion 2 also looks nice quality, I should have it running tomorrow.