What's new

Recommendation on paint for my ceiling joists/steel beams?

slash007

Reaction score
I want to paint my ceiling joists/steel beams to protect them from rusting and was wondering what you guys recommend? I had to replace almost half of the outside beams this year and want to protect the new beams along with the old. Any suggestions? View attachment 644

getnbusy

Reaction score
Not hijacking your thread, but I would like to know as well. I AM repainting this summer for sure. I have a flat panel roof with steel beams. The panels not so bad but the beams look awful. My new LED's make it look even worse. My thought is that it will need quite a bit of prep work(sanding). I dont have money to throw away but I want to do it right. I want a paint job that will still look good ten years from now, and I want to hire a crew to do it. In North Carolina.

2facer

Banned
Reaction score
I have a similar project as yours and still can't decide which to use. I hope someone could help us out here.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
The POR-15 is good if the metal is already rusted - you don't need much prep except to scrape off loose flakes, and it prevents further rust. I'm sure a good oil-based paint will keep the rust from starting.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
POR-15 is the best paint ever for rust. I paint all my Laser wash Bridges with it and they look awesome and hold up also Liftgates on service trucks I have done several, hotrods I have restored its high dollar but goes a long ways.

slash007

Reaction score
POR-15 is the best paint ever for rust. I paint all my Laser wash Bridges with it and they look awesome and hold up also Liftgates on service trucks I have done several, hotrods I have restored its high dollar but goes a long ways.
Where is the cheapest place to buy the stuff?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Ebay is what I have found the cheapest in the past not directly from them

slash007

Reaction score
Ebay is what I have found the cheapest in the past not directly from them
Great tip on checking eBay, it is cheaper there. What is the best way to apply it? Regular brush or foam? I can't figure out how much I would need and will probably just start with a couple gallons.

MEP001

Reaction score
I read about it first on a car restoration forum. They seem to like the foam brush application, but I'm not sure if that's for application or the finish.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I personal like brushing it goes on very slick and smooth when dried and hard the hardest paint when dry. I don't see how you could spray it because its so thick and drys quickly and already comes mixed with hardener in it. You would have to cut it with lacquer I tried this once and spraying the marine white they have and it kept stopping up my spray guns. Stick with the original por-15 in black you can't beat it. Unless they have recently changed it. I like brushing it on for a thick hard coat.

slash007

Reaction score
I ordered a couple of gallons in silver earlier today. I debated over the color for a while, but decided on silver figuring it would kind of match the aluminum roof panels. Is there is a difference other than the color? I'm sure it won't ship until tomorrow and I could probably change to black if it matters.

MEP001

Reaction score
It does need to be top-coated to protect it from UV breakdown, but I can't find anything about differences between the colors.

slash007

Reaction score
I did some research and found this:
WHICH FORMULA TO USE?

POR-15® SILVER contains metal filler and should be used on badly rusted steel to fill small holes and pitted areas.
POR-15® BLACK is used on frames, floorboards. under fenders, engine compartments. trunk areas, etc.
POR-15® CLEAR dries to a perfect satin gloss, used on exterior surfaces before painting. Excellent for "touch-up".
POR-15® GRAY is ideal for use on concrete.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wonder why you'd use a rust-proofing paint on concrete.

slash007

Reaction score
I wonder why you'd use a rust-proofing paint on concrete.
Lol good point. I bought two gallons, but it looks like there is also a lot of prep work involved. I was under the impression that I could just paint right over everything, but I guess I need to use some of the other products first to clean everything and then put down some of the prep and ready to get the surface ready for the por-15. It also says that a topcoat is only needed in areas exposed to the sun, so I will only topcoat the outer beams and leave the inner beams silver.

MEP001

Reaction score
The guys I've seen use it say that you only have to scrape off flaking rust. They use it on truck frames and swear by it.

slash007

Reaction score
Hmmm... All of the research I did said that for it work as it should, you have to clean the surface and prep it first. I would love to just scrape off the flakes and paint, so I'll try calling the company tomorrow to see what they say. I already bought a couple of gallons each of the cleaner and prep to get started, but it was through Amazon so I am sure that I can return it if I end up not needing it.