What's new

Reclaim water debate- salty water

el jefe

el jefe
Reaction score
The other day I was dumbfounded when a customer asked if we recycled our water... I told him yes and the he said " then your washing my car with salt water washed off all the cars" He caught me off guard and was driving away when he made the comment... I've thought about this before but would like you alls input too

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
There is a big difference between recycled and reclaim water.

Recycling means recovering waste water, sending it to underground tank(s) to allow fine particulates to precipitate and to trap a majority of the sand and grease and entrained oil. The clarified water (grey water) is then pumped to a device that spins out the heavy particules reducing particle size down to between 75 and 150 microns. The water then goes to a vessel that contains media and activated carbon to filter and clear the water and reduce odor. The water (less grey) is then pumped to the carwash system where it can be used for most purposes where clean tap water is not absolutely necessary like underbody, high-pressure wheels and lubricating the washing brushes.

Reclaim typically means having more undergound tanks, say, three, to improve precipitation, having perhaps several cyclonic particle separators as well as multiple filtration devices that work together to reduce particle size down to about 5 microns (polished water) and usually an ozone generator to inject a small amout of gas in the stream of water to help control odors.

So, reclaim water is not like washing a vehicle with water that contains a lot of road salt.

Perhaps your reclaim supplier has some public relations materials or is willing to compose something that you can post at your wash or hand out to your customers to demonstrate the many benefits of your reclaim system.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
There are traces of sodium chloride (salt) in most water to begin with. It's the level that is important. When people think of "salt in water", they tend to relate it to seawater, which contains very high levels of NaCl (Sodium chloride, salt) Therefore, they tend to think you are spraying seawater on their cars. That's a rather disturbing thought for any car owner. Although ignorant, it can still be their perception.

In a car wash with a reclaim system, yes salt can enter the system however, the levels are typically a fraction of seawater. No reclaim system on the market will remove the salt. Desalination is the proper method for removing the salt, however, in a car wash with a reclaim the levels are so low it's not required, or necessary.

If you have a reclaim system where roads are salted, it is important to remove the salt at some point as the salts (among other pollutants) are collective. Pumping your reclaim tanks periodically is highly recommended. With a good reclaim system, typically twice a year is sufficient. High volume sites will typically require quarterly pumping.