What's new

Rebuilding a Mosmatic Z-Boom

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Does anyone has any tips on rebuilding a Mosmatic Z-Boom. We have them in 8 Self Serve bays and a couple have worn out bearings. Bought the bearings from Mosmatic, but can't seem to figure out how to disassemble them in order to install the new bearings. Have taken them to a local machine shop, who tried pressing them apart, and they just won't budge. Any tips would be appreciated.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
ScottV & others,

Our Mosmatic (Hydrospray) Z boom version may be different than yours but if I remember right there is a snap ring that that also should be replaced ... it seems like that snap ring can rust??? On ours the exact same Stainless Steel lawn mower bearings can be bought on Amazon. The snap ring we got from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273627699737 specify 38mm qty 20

Like I said your mosmatic version specifications might differ & my guys did repair it once ... the parts I independently ordered myself match the OEMs based on close examination that we originally bought OEM-wise sent to us. We have another one we should work on so we will know more then. In the meantime... be sure & follow-up on this thread ... if there is any possibility that find a snap ring similar to the above ... check with a caliper.

Others here on the forum have Mosmatics Z Booms so hopefully they will weigh in on this thread also. I am careful not to get discouraged since I have been told that they possibly are the best choice among booms. Because that they are heavier than our previous booms we are using stainless steel threaded ready rod clear through our ceiling-roof ... making damn sure that the boom assembly can't fall down. Not sure if a failed seal or bearing is a hazard though???

cmawash

Reaction score
lower bearing goes bad, biggest problem with rebuilding booms and we have done close to 30 booms is rust and getting the bearing out, if clip is removed them boom drops out of center support, when its on the ground dissemble can happen as long rust has not lock in the lower bearing, if rusted in grinding the bearing will usually work, recommend buying a new boom as a spare, mosematic does not sell booms parts but will supply bearings.

also recommend when putting every thing back together use lots of anti siez on all bearing surfaces for the next time

Eric H

Reaction score
I've only replaced 1 bearing and it was a bear but I got it done without using a bearing puller or press. I think I may have used a grinder to cut out the inner race.

I do have 4 used Mosmatic booms if you are interested in buying up to 3. I think I'll keep 1 for a spare. I'm located in North Central MA if you are interested

Etowah
Etowah