What's new

Reading Lic Plate Numbers

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Have 23 cameras at my 6 bay wash. 2 REVO DVR'S. There are 4 cameras that were told would read plate's. Currently have a dumper driving in and backing next to VAC and chunking out yard junk. Police won't help if I do not have plate numbers. The plates but the only way is to zoom to a spot at the 20' entrance and 20' exit. You can only capture about 4' and the truck has to be aiming straight at camera or you will not be able to read number.
I have been able to track the exact location on garbage as there was a violation notice in garbage. Had address listed. Looked up owner and called him. He hired a Lopez lawn to clean up property per city violations. Lopez called and said employee did it. He would send someone to clean up mess. I just wanted police to ticket owner of truck.

Are their any speed bumps with cameras in them that would cover the 2- 20' drives?
Or any other way to fix problem. A dumpers come from 8pm to 3am. So harder to read.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Just a thought.
I put in a Ring wireless doorbell/camera at my vacation house.
I have electric running to it so I don't have to use a battery for power and it works on wifi.
Can you put it in a sign, light pole, vac etc. that is low to the ground that can see tags but not be noticed?
I have an entrance sign that I've been thinking about installing one in.
Every time it see's motion it turns on and sends me a live video that stays in my app memory.
It cost $30 a per yr. for monitoring cost.
The picture is very good.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have an auto tracking PTZ at the corner of my wash that always "watches" the entrance. I actually have 2 of them, but they aren't cheap - they were about $800/ea. Besides that, every camera (16 total ) I have at my wash are able to get legible plate reads - even digitally zooming. I'm running 4MP Hikvisions - some 2.8mm and some 6.0mm.

MEP001

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I installed cameras pointing at the entrance and exit. They weren't very high resolution but the DVR would only capture 640 x 480 so the cameras didn't need to be high-res. The cameras are about 100' from the drive, and I mounted them right above a light so the reflective property of the plate really helps get it read.