What's new

Re wash codes for people not paying attention to back up light

Etowah

jsoriano

Reaction score
Hi, we normally give rewash code when this happens, after verifying with our CCTV of course, was wondering how other locations handle this particularly case.

Last night a gentleman came and try to use two of our machines, soft touch and touch free and in both he couldn't see the signs, he was demanding full refund and additional $$$ for the time he lost...lol.

After I sent him screenshots of cameras with the back up light lid on and two codes (since he paid with a CC i could verify the transactions) never heard from him again. Actually in one of the bays we have also a audible beep, definitely he wasn't paying attention.

We never refund money for this type of things......

chaz

Reaction score
Always give refund (either. C/c refund or typically wash card) and explain wash. I have a doorbell on my ACW....if the customer calls ....I can typically talk them through process.

no refund or ignore is bad for biz....and I’d imagine c/c customers will dispute charge as well

jsoriano

Reaction score
Always give refund (either. C/c refund or typically wash card) and explain wash. I have a doorbell on my ACW....if the customer calls ....I can typically talk them through process.

no refund or ignore is bad for biz....and I’d imagine c/c customers will dispute charge as well
Hi Chaz, we definitely will always give a rewash code, 99% of the time customers are happy with that. In that way they come again to use it. A bad Google review for this kind of thing worth more than a rewash.

Just wondering how it is handle in different areas.

MEP001

Reaction score
Offering them a free wash instead of a refund is fine if they are okay with that, wouldn't hurt to offer them two or some extra vacuum tokens to keep a customer. But if he wants a refund, even for his own ignorance, you really should give him a refund. He didn't get the wash he paid for, you're out nothing, it's the right thing to do. I'd probably give him a refund and a free wash coupon, but I wouldn't give someone money for their time.

fastlx

Reaction score
MEP.. I agree. I do the same, if they want a refund I gladly give it.. Most take a free wash. The only problem I have is that with the older Hamilton goldline I have to change the code whenever I give it out. but to be honest I have given it out a few times and just told the customer it is a one time code good for 24 hours.. no one has ever tried to come back and use the code again.. maybe I'm just lucky. Anyone else find another way to give code for the older goldline units with the keypad. I don't have this happen alot so I'm not looking into spending thousands for another solution. Thanks again..

soonermajic

Reaction score
We give a free wash. Usually not cash, but will if we can watch film & it's legit...

STXCW

Reaction score
We always try to give free rewash or 2 depending on situation versus giving back cash.

If he hasn't called back he probably had charges reversed with his CC company. Especially if you don't have an EMV reader, its automatic.

Touchless

Reaction score
We always offer a code for a free wash with an expiration date, depending on the situation it could be 7 days or a few months (I notice they appreciate this but often they won’t use the code and I like to keep my codes lists up to date).

jsoriano

Reaction score
MEP.. I agree. I do the same, if they want a refund I gladly give it.. Most take a free wash. The only problem I have is that with the older Hamilton goldline I have to change the code whenever I give it out. but to be honest I have given it out a few times and just told the customer it is a one time code good for 24 hours.. no one has ever tried to come back and use the code again.. maybe I'm just lucky. Anyone else find another way to give code for the older goldline units with the keypad. I don't have this happen alot so I'm not looking into spending thousands for another solution. Thanks again..
Yes, you are lucky. WE have WSII's and we can create a one time option and more than half of the time I have to check CCTV and show them they already used the code...lol. Most the time, is the same car in the camera the one in front of me...lol

Expat

Reaction score
You could consider a Hosted Solutions subscription where you can issue unique Single Use Codes. Set the quantity, expiration date, wash package, and add messaging if you want. They either scan the code on the barcode reader or enter a 9-digit code on the GL keypad.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score

Completely agree. Refund once and give a little instruction and the customer will come back again and again. It’s all about customer retention. There too much competition out there and the way to keep a customer loyal is through above and beyond customer service. As long as you can verify via camera that the customer was on site and you can see the error, it a very small price to pay in the long run to simply refund. Now if the same customer keeps having the same issue, well that’s a different story.