What's new

Razor edge vs Xr7

CarWashGuy316

Reaction score
I’m in a lower/middle class area and outright cost the XR7 will be cheaper but long run am I missing out on the Edge? I can obtain that machine for only roughly 20k more.

My thoughts in so far choosing XR7 is based on my clientele/ demographic. They are wanting an affordable product that gives a good wash. I just don’t see the e extra value in the bells and whistles of lights and lava.

Thoughts?

Eric H

Reaction score
The XR7 is the entry level machine that had been stripped down to offer budget minded operators a quality option. The EDGE machine has all of the bells and whistles for operators that need/want every option, while still being a great value. Have you looked at the middle machine, the Razor4? The Razor4 will give you some more flexibility and increase speed because of the addition of the production arch.
I bought the EDGE because I know that the machines should last 15-20 years and I wanted to ensure that they did not become obsolete. For me having the option of additional chemical applications was worth the additional money but some operators don't need so many options to remain competitive in their market.

CarWashGuy316

Reaction score
The XR7 is the entry level machine that had been stripped down to offer budget minded operators a quality option. The EDGE machine has all of the bells and whistles for operators that need/want every option, while still being a great value. Have you looked at the middle machine, the Razor4? The Razor4 will give you some more flexibility and increase speed because of the addition of the production arch.
I bought the EDGE because I know that the machines should last 15-20 years and I wanted to ensure that they did not become obsolete. For me having the option of additional chemical applications was worth the additional money but some operators don't need so many options to remain competitive in their market.
I did not look at the razor 4 but now I want to!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did not look at the razor 4 but now I want to!
I'm installing a Razor this year. Really looking forward to it.

And, FWIW, everyone wants things cheaper, not just your customers. My wash is in a low-mid income area and that does not deter me from offering a $15 pkg that 90+% are buying.

My competitors pushed it to $20 recently, and I pushed myself to obtain financing for an IBA rehab.

Wanting to save money is a universal thing. I don't think anyone would say their customers and 'spendthrifts' or they love spending extra $$$. But if you give the proper value, the price becomes less of a barrier for customers.

Out in Massachusetts, we wash so many large vehicles in our automatics that even a $17-22 price seems reasonable. After all, the customer with a crew cab pickup will likely spend $15-20 in my Self-Serve bay to get a wash. To this customer, the appeal of the automatic is obvious; pay the same $$ as if they hand washed themselves, but instead sit in the warm vehicle sipping hot coffee while they play on their phone.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I'm installing a Razor this year. Really looking forward to it.

And, FWIW, everyone wants things cheaper, not just your customers. My wash is in a low-mid income area and that does not deter me from offering a $15 pkg that 90+% are buying.

My competitors pushed it to $20 recently, and I pushed myself to obtain financing for an IBA rehab.

Wanting to save money is a universal thing. I don't think anyone would say their customers and 'spendthrifts' or they love spending extra $$$. But if you give the proper value, the price becomes less of a barrier for customers.

Out in Massachusetts, we wash so many large vehicles in our automatics that even a $17-22 price seems reasonable. After all, the customer with a crew cab pickup will likely spend $15-20 in my Self-Serve bay to get a wash. To this customer, the appeal of the automatic is obvious; pay the same $$ as if they hand washed themselves, but instead sit in the warm vehicle sipping hot coffee while they play on their phone.
That's great. However, in Ok, Tx, SW US, I can't see anybody spending $20 in a SS bay, or heck, very rarely HALF that much!
I could make over half a million dollars a year at those prices!.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I think that spending the extra money on a higher model wash World's machine will pay dividends in productivity and increased throughput. I understand that with such a big purchase the instinct is there to try and keep costs in check, But over the life of the machine I don't think 20 or $30,000 really makes that big of a difference. Especially when you keep the price point as high as you can.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I like it a lot. Just need better distributor help. Every cold morning, below 32, it shuts down on 1st car or 2. Then fine rest of day & night.

carwashireland

Reaction score
We installed a Razor 4 a few months back and are very impressed with it. We added tru foam, foam n flow, lighted wand and spectra Ray and can honestly say our customer feedback is the best we have ever had.

chevyguy09

Reaction score
I like it a lot. Just need better distributor help. Every cold morning, below 32, it shuts down on 1st car or 2. Then fine rest of day & night.
Soonermajic feel free to give us a call at Washworld or shoot me a message if you have some time at some point to doublecheck a few things.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think there is an adjustable temp. setting for that in the Razor programming. I thought it monitored the temp in the bay and shut down the wash when it gets too cold, to prevent freezing. Then, when it warms up enough it re-opens the wash.

chevyguy09

Reaction score
I think there is an adjustable temp. setting for that in the Razor programming. I thought it monitored the temp in the bay and shut down the wash when it gets too cold, to prevent freezing. Then, when it warms up enough it re-opens the wash.
Correct Waxman. However, the machine would need the door control option or weep option for that to work.