What's new

Ray Pak thermostat obsolete

David Rolf

Reaction score
I have an older Ray Pak floor heat boiler that's running great but the thermostat has not worked in years. The part number is SP-32 made by Goldline. I found a company that rebuilds them and it was returned still not functioning. Has anyone found a replacement unit that's plug and play? 115V power, two wires going to the boiler, and two wires going out to the thermocouple. Hoping someone can provide a good part number and where to purchase. Thanks

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Have ever thought about looking on EBay? There's 2 on EBay, one for $85 and another for $109.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
10A 110V Digital Temperature Controller Temp Sensor Thermostat Control Relay US 708624426335 | eBay

I have a bunch of these $15 temperature controllers working on FH boilers, roof trough heaters, DHW tanks...
They are 120v powered with a 10A relay contact. You can wire the relay contacts for any voltage or simply a closed contact. They come with a sensor. I've extended the sensor wires as far as 30' with zero impact.

Differential and sensor calibration are adjustable

Not exactly plug and play but certainly a versatile and very inexpensive option.

Here are some installation examples L to R:
1. Displaying my home heating boiler's supply and return, controlling the DHW tank temp, and displaying the DHW suppy temperature
2. Monitoring and powering the plumbing trough's heat tape
3. Controlling a floor heat boiler (Slab Stat replacement) This one now has two controllers for a two zone FH system.
4. Controlling a pair of trough heat cables...(if either drops below the set point, the auxiliary system turns on)

IMG_0914.jpg IMG_1009.jpg IMG_1174.jpg IMG_1176.jpg

washnvac

Reaction score
cantbreak80---Did you just make those enclosures by cutting the hole in?? That is amazing for only 15 bucks! And these have been reliable for you, I would guess? Thanks very much for the link.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
That's correct. I used a rotary tool (Dremel-like) to cut the holes
#1 is a 8x8x4 metal j-box with cover
#2 & #4 are repurposed lighting timer boxes (there's DPDT relays inside, too)
#3 contains a SmartRelay in addition to the Temp controllers

I've lost count on how many I've used...Probably in 6 or 7 carwashes.
The oldest is approaching 10 years in service...it was supposed to be a temporary fix for a failed remote bulb slabstat!

The instruction sheet is a bit difficult to follow (it's written in Chin-lish)
I wish there was a 24VAC-powered version like the Johnson Controls AT421...that would make them even more awesome!

OurTown

Reaction score
I have one of those controllers used for a specialized cobbled together home appliance. It is not used anymore but for the several years used it was great. The one we have is very versatile but was initially difficult to understand the programming because of the terrible instructions. (like Cantbreak said)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have an older Ray Pak floor heat boiler that's running great but the thermostat has not worked in years. The part number is SP-32 made by Goldline. I found a company that rebuilds them and it was returned still not functioning. Has anyone found a replacement unit that's plug and play? 115V power, two wires going to the boiler, and two wires going out to the thermocouple. Hoping someone can provide a good part number and where to purchase. Thanks
David & others,

Have you tried ???? to match the specs here on Goldline's newer versions: Goldline - Solar Energy Parts Catalog | Sun Source Energy Products (sunsourceproducts.com)

Way back in about 1991 because I was not satisfied with the mech engineer's control suggestions on our intricate modular boiler system & car wash bay controls ... we got really deep into ... like over 10 ... plus spare parts standbys of the Goldline SP 322 & SP-342 controllers with matching SP- TDAs for each. That original designer must have been a genius because we have had zero issues with these during all these almost 30 years!!! The SP-TDA displays actually have alarm provisions & can be used as a third stage ... albeit no differential setting capability. BTW they are both 110VAC & 24VAC compatible!

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
I have replaced Goldline thermostats in the past with Johnson controls model A419 thermostats. I put the sensor in concrete by cutting the concrete so the sensor will sit in a cold area of the concrete and then wire it into the raypak. Easily replaceable and they have worked for decades now.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have replaced Goldline thermostats in the past with Johnson controls model A419 thermostats. I put the sensor in concrete by cutting the concrete so the sensor will sit in a cold area of the concrete and then wire it into the raypak. Easily replaceable and they have worked for decades now.
When one of my "brothers in law" & me put in our deicer way back in 1980 ... Herm & Jeff Deal of Huron Valley made sure that the instructions included a tube going out into the concrete. When later on when "my crew & me at the time" migrated to the 100% reliable & proven specific previously posted by me "Goldlines" ... we did not have to cut into the concrete!

David Rolf

Reaction score
Thank you Soapy, This is in line with what I was looking for to replace the obsolete unit. I'll get one on order and may call on you again if I experience problems but looks pretty straightforward. Thanks to all who responded and will report back when it humming along and in service.

Thanks you guys are the best!

John J Spokas

Reaction score
When one of my "brothers in law" & me put in our deicer way back in 1980 ... Herm & Jeff Deal of Huron Valley made sure that the instructions included a tube going out into the concrete. When later on when "my crew & me at the time" migrated to the 100% reliable & proven specific previously posted by me "Goldlines" ... we did not have to cut into the concrete!
Isn't it Doug Deal? or is he gone...I never knew a Jeff Deal. But, of course, I don't know everybody or everything.... :)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Isn't it Doug Deal? or is he gone...I never knew a Jeff Deal. But, of course, I don't know everybody or everything.... :)
John J Spokas,

I am not familiar with Herm's other sons but the one I was on the phone with during installation back in 1980 was Jeff. Jeff ... a mechanical engineer later on appears to have started his own company as in Hamilton Engineering of Livonia, MI ... that tended to serve more the USA laundry industry. At a Minneapolis-St. Paul laundry CLA show that I drove to back in 2012 ... when I last visited with him face to face he said something about also having a major contract with Ellsworth Air Force Base in Rapid City South Dakota. ... if I remember right.

I actually went to Detroit & at the ICA Show Huron Valley Booth ... where I may have met Doug. An older gentlemen part of their staff actually had some fun with my lack of knowledge at the time (punk kid) ... in a good way. They actually had a Detroit self serve car wash that I could go to first hand look at a previously installed Huron Valley Deicer System. They gave me an address ... I said .... I will call a Taxi. They were nice enough to tell & show me how simple it would be to take one of the many city buses from Cobo Hall in Detroit to & from the car wash. In other words saving me some significant $$$.

Last edited:

John J Spokas

Reaction score
John J Spokas,

I am not familiar with Herm's other sons but the one I was on the phone with during installation back in 1980 was Jeff. Jeff ... a mechanical engineer later on appears to have started his own company as in Hamilton Engineering of Livonia, MI ... that tended to serve more the USA laundry industry. At a Minneapolis-St. Paul laundry CLA show that I drove to back in 2012 ... when I last visited with him face to face he said something about also having a major contract with Ellsworth Air Force Base in Rapid City South Dakota. ... if I remember right.

I actually went to Detroit & at the ICA Show Huron Valley Booth ... where I may have met Doug. An older gentlemen part of their staff actually had some fun with my lack of knowledge at the time (punk kid) ... in a good way. They actually had a Detroit self serve car wash that I could go to first hand look at a previously installed Huron Valley Deicer System. They gave me an address ... I said .... I will call a Taxi. They were nice enough to tell & show me how simple it would be to take one of the many city buses from Cobo Hall in Detroit to & from the car wash. In other words saving me some significant $$$.
I saw Doug Deal and Lonnie Davis dancing on a piano in their undies at Howl at the Moon in San Antonio a few years ago so your comment reminded me of that trauma, it was hilarious! I used to order systems from Doug but it's been awhile.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
That's correct. I used a rotary tool (Dremel-like) to cut the holes
#1 is a 8x8x4 metal j-box with cover
#2 & #4 are repurposed lighting timer boxes (there's DPDT relays inside, too)
#3 contains a SmartRelay in addition to the Temp controllers

I've lost count on how many I've used...Probably in 6 or 7 carwashes.
The oldest is approaching 10 years in service...it was supposed to be a temporary fix for a failed remote bulb slabstat!

The instruction sheet is a bit difficult to follow (it's written in Chin-lish)
I wish there was a 24VAC-powered version like the Johnson Controls AT421...that would make them even more awesome!
Where did you get the boxes from?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Local supply houses are numerous in my metro area.
State Electrical Supply in Beckley might be a good local source for you.

I also buy online from Wolf Automation, Allied Electronics, eBay, etc.
And, Amazon.com! (search "electrical enclosures")

Enclosures in photos 2 & 4 were old lighting timers that I'd salvaged from a remodel project...
Probably purchased from Home Depot or Lowes?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Hey Deuce!
The devices I buy are Fahrenheit only. There's no C to F selector.
Even though I've never had one fail, I agree about having a spare in stock...I usually purchase 10 at a time...and carry 1 or 2 in my truck.
(Never know when one might find another need somewhere.;))

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
OK.... I see now, the one you linked to is in Fahrenheit! I bought a mechanical well type t-stat that controls my floor heat from the return coolant temp...Has a mechanical spring actuated temp differential. Would be nice to replace it with something digital so you can actually "See" what is going on! Thanks for bailing my arse out again!!