What's new

Rat Help !!!!!!!

wendy's wash

Reaction score
In the last 4 days the alarm has been tripped. 1- Friday 5:30 am, Saturday 4:30 am, Sunday 10:30 pm, and Monday 3:30 am. I got there Saturday with 4 police cars already there.The motion sensor went off in 2 seperate buildings. 3 times in 1 and once in the other.There are 2 motion sensors per building. This would lead me to believe all 4 could not have just gone bad , or at least 1 in each building. I have responded to all alarms and there was no signs of anything wrong. The police said there has been a rash of break in,s at washes but that does not seem to be the cause of these set off,s of my alarm. I can not think of away someone could trip the motion sensor and not break in some where or leave a sign. It seems to be rats causing my problem.Put out more rat traps, rat blocks. Has anyone used the electric rat repellers. Have you had good results with them. I need something that works well. Any suggestions. Thanks
Just call me sleep deprived.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Or you may have inadvertently trapped a bird or other small animal inside. I hate motion sensors and I'll bet the police do too. We had them in our store years ago. It took several days to figure out the hanging mobile in the show room would start turning when the heat kicked on and set off the alarm. I'd bet that 99% of motion sensor alarms are false alarms, just too many wierd things to set them off.

Randy

Reaction score
A couple of years ago my son was at one of his uncle?s washes late at night. He was working in the equipment room when he heard some noise. There was a big Rat on the ladder going up into the attic. He took out his 380 automatic and blew the crap out of him. No more Rat problem since.

Or you call these guy?s they?ll come out take care of your Rat problem. www.vexconinc.com

Or get some traps, Glue Boards and load them up with a peice of Baby Ruth candy bar, Rats love the Baby Ruth candy bar.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The newer motions, need heat and motion to trip. Make sure you have the better ones. Also, I've had small spiders walk across the sensor and set them off but not more than one and it is a long time inbetween. But it is good to use a duster on them once in awhile. I agree that it could be a birld, usually a mouse is too small, we don't have rats here.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
Use the glue traps. Good chance the rat will still be alive so you can take a stick and poke him with it.:D

JustClean

Reaction score
We had a rat sitting in our automatic eating some cables. And that is a real concern!
The whole day this little guy had been taken for a ride up and down the autobay. He must have enjoyed it. Anyway, I tried with rat poison from the supermarket without success but when I got the professionals in they used different stuff and that solved the problem. I did some research on the Internet: apparently rats don't like peppermint which I am using now and I installed two electric pest repellents. Since then I haven't had a problem anymore. My experience with the electric repellent is that it takes about 3 months for them to work. It creates an uncomfortable environment and the rats will then leave. One other thing to remember is the fact that if rats already ate the poison somewhere else they will be looking for water. Which in turn gets them to you - the carwash place.

Happycarz

Reaction score
I had birds or bats getting into the equipment room, setting off the alarm. We just wired two motion sensors in series at each end of the room. Both sensors need to be tripped for the alarm to activated and a bird can't trip both, as they aren't large enough. No problem since.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Be carefull. I had thieves set off my motion detectors several times in a month to send false alarms.
The night I turned off the alarm because of all the false alarms the (siren didn't go off) they tried to break in.
Didn't get in but caused a lot of damage to the door(solid steel) and frame (filled with concrete).

wendy's wash

Reaction score
so far so good

Spent hours useing mesh wire and foam insolation between the roof and brick wall. I did disconnect the horn after the 3rd time it went off but it was still monitored by security company. I do have a next door neighbor and did not want him bothered. I did noticed that one of the bays next to equipment room was wet like someone just used it when I got there each morning after alarm company called me. This is what lead me to think also about someone was causing the alarm to go off. After the 5th time it was time to seal all open spots to either stop rats from going in or a person from setting off the alarm fron the bay. After sealing Wednesday and no calls for 2 days I then rehooking up the horn on Friday. There has been no set offs at all. Now 5 days with no phone calls. Problem fixed so far.