What's new

Random Hydrominder Issues, any tips or tricks?

wrightwash

Reaction score
I'm running 506 Hydrominders on every chemical.

The soap and wax tanks are slowly leaking down and they are having to re-prime every time it kicks on. Surely it's not a foot valve already? The units are only a few months old.

I finally gave up fighting air in the chemical line issues on my low pressure (tire, presoak, foam brush) and changed to a stiffer 1/2" poly braid and used a hose clamp at the foot valve and at the hydrominder, so far this has solved my issues there. I may try the same on my soap and wax tanks?

Does anyone have tricks they've learned over the years?

MEP001

Reaction score
Make sure there is a hole in each discharge tube in the tank below the ring inside the hose and above the mixed chemical. This is to make sure if the foot valve fails it doesn't siphon the mix back into the bucket. I remove the metal "clamp" at the foot valve and use a zip tie instead. I bought a bunch of replacement suction tubes not too long ago, and most of them wouldn't seal in the hose without the zip tie.

wrightwash

Reaction score
Make sure there is a hole in each discharge tube in the tank below the ring inside the hose and above the mixed chemical. This is to make sure if the foot valve fails it doesn't siphon the mix back into the bucket. I remove the metal "clamp" at the foot valve and use a zip tie instead. I bought a bunch of replacement suction tubes not too long ago, and most of them wouldn't seal in the hose without the zip tie.
Thank you for the reply! Do you have a picture showing where to put the hole? I’m trying to visualize this.

Randy

Reaction score
I use the Thermo Plastics 802805 Clear Excelon Tubing - 1/2 In KR #HCVE08. It’s a little expensive but it lasts a long time. You don’t want to use a metal clamp on the end on the hose that goes into the chemical bucket, use a cable tie. I also use a piece 1” gray conduit in the chemical bucket and slip the hose down the pipe to keep the hose straight. Like Mep said you want to have a hole or siphon break in the discharge hose coming off the Hydrominder. Locate the yellow ring inside the discharge hose and drill a ¼” hole about 2 inches below the yellow ring but not below the water level in the tank.

Twodose

Reaction score
I know the vinyl tubing gets hard after a short period of time, does the excelon tubing stay soft? Do you drill holes in the conduit?

Randy

Reaction score
I know the vinyl tubing gets hard after a short period of time, does the excelon tubing stay soft? Do you drill holes in the conduit?
Yes the Excelon tubing lasts longer and stays softer than the vinyl tubing. I drill a couple of 1/4" holes about 1" from the end of the pipe and I put a stainless screw about 3/4" from the end of the pipe to keep the Hyrdominder hose from going to the end of the pipe. Doing this pervents any debis from getting sucked up from the bottom of the chemical bucket/container.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
. I also use a piece 1” gray conduit in the chemical bucket and slip the hose down the pipe to keep the hose straight
Why gray and why 1" Been using cheap 3/4" PVC for decades and it seems to work.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
To clarify you only need a hole in the discharge tube if your hydrominder doesn't have a siphon breaker.

I've swapped all hydrominders over to 1/4" line and the press in tips. They're just easier to handle, bundle up and look neater, have more dilution options and have an ultralean line that can use hyperconcentrates without dilution. If a foot valve goes bad it's not as crucial because the chemical will purge the air out of the line in just a couple of seconds. I buy a parker brand tubing from my chemical supplier that is impervious to just about everything and stays flexible even when running sodium hydroxide through it. USplastics sells a superthane tubing that works well too, but some of my ceramic products were making the tube swell a bit.

I've had terrible luck with hydro foot valves in the past couple of years and no longer buy them. I buy the dema 1/4" foot valves. They're cheaper and last longer.

wrightwash

Reaction score
To clarify you only need a hole in the discharge tube if your hydrominder doesn't have a siphon breaker.

I've swapped all hydrominders over to 1/4" line and the press in tips. They're just easier to handle, bundle up and look neater, have more dilution options and have an ultralean line that can use hyperconcentrates without dilution. If a foot valve goes bad it's not as crucial because the chemical will purge the air out of the line in just a couple of seconds. I buy a parker brand tubing from my chemical supplier that is impervious to just about everything and stays flexible even when running sodium hydroxide through it. USplastics sells a superthane tubing that works well too, but some of my ceramic products were making the tube swell a bit.

I've had terrible luck with hydro foot valves in the past couple of years and no longer buy them. I buy the dema 1/4" foot valves. They're cheaper and last longer.
That's interesting, I haven't seen anyone using 1/4" tube for chemicals. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Timmb

Reaction score
Once a year replace the fresh water washer/inlet screen. When it gets restricted you don't get enough water pressure & proper chemical suction.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Once a year replace the fresh water washer/inlet screen. When it gets restricted you don't get enough water pressure & proper chemical suction.
If inlet screen is clogged I found it easiest to unscrew the 1/4" pipe with the hose fitting from the valve and then blow it out. If need be I can push it out from the pipe side with a pen or some other blunt object. Otherwise Trying to dig it out from the entrance side without damage is seldom successful.

OurTown

Reaction score
It would be helpful if they made the outside diameter of the inlet screen rubber washer about an 1/8" smaller.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you have that much trouble with the Hydrominder screens, put a filter on the whole line and change it once a year.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Or you can put 1/2" mesh strainers on each hydrominder and use standard garden hose washers....I got burnt by the screen washers and this fixed it!

How did you get burnt by the screen washers.?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Was on vacation and soap quit working because of a clogged screen. Wasn't easy trying to work through the issue with the guy I hired to look after the wash. Seems like nothing ever breaks down till I go out of town!

MEP001

Reaction score
Same here. One day I put a new Hydrominder in the soap tank at a wash I used to run. It was on hot water and the screen clogged up some time during a busy Saturday. I cleaned it and it was clogged again the next evening, so I just cut it out. The old unit had no screen.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Same here. One day I put a new Hydrominder in the soap tank at a wash I used to run. It was on hot water and the screen clogged up some time during a busy Saturday. I cleaned it and it was clogged again the next evening, so I just cut it out. The old unit had no screen.
Made that mistake. Crud clogged hydrominder diaphragms.