What's new

RAINWATER HARVESTING: Now, Not Later.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Rainwater harvesting simply makes good sense. Good business sense... and good citizenship.;)

As an Industry, we've come a long way in water conservation through reclamation systems. But let's not rest on our laurels. There is much more to do that will safeguard our Industry's stability in a world that is gradually exhausting its potable water supply.

The carwash industry should be taking a much more proactive stance on rainwater harvesting. Maybe it should be included in our development and become part of the architecture of our operations.

I wrote an article about a client's carwash chain in Australia... and their brilliant use of rainwater:

http://www.moderncarcare.com/articles/2009/07/australia-s-hand-wash-caf-innovates-down-under.aspx

I realize that laws that govern rainwater vary from state to state, but it may make sense for ICA to push for a national standard of uniform incorporation of rainwater harvesting into the development of carwashes. From the data I've seen, the practice of rainwater harvesting actually saves quite a bit of money... and paints a very responsible image of being a quality custodian of nature.

How do you feel about it?

-Steve

mac

Reaction score
I'm with you Bill on this 100%. Next week I'll be installing a rainwater reuse system. This one has three 5,000 gallon tanks. Compared to reusing car wash waste water, this is a no brainer. And it pays good. I make some nice change. My customer will save enough to pay for this in less than two years, without any tax breaks, and he'll save about 2 to3 large per month. It helps that in FL we get an average of 4 feet of rain each year. When it makes sen$e to do "green" things, I'm all for it.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I would imagine at some point, if enough businesses did this it might be detremental to replenishing the water table. :confused:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I would imagine at some point, if enough businesses did this it might be detremental to replenishing the water table. :confused:
Not if you only capture and re use what normaly lands on hardscape and would otherwise go into storm sewers.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>but it may make sense for ICA to push for a national standard of uniform incorporation of rainwater harvesting into the development of carwashes. From the data I've seen, the practice of rainwater harvesting actually saves quite a bit of money... and paints a very responsible image of being a quality custodian of nature.<<<

I think the ICA could and should do a lot of stuff. For instance:
When we were facing an eminent domain action from Chicago which is also home to the ICA we asked them to write a letter supporting us. They would not do it. In fact they should write a supporting letter for anyone trying to get a car wash approved or defending one touting the economic and environmental benefits.

I think every year they should do PR on Earth Day promoting the ecological benefits of professional car washes. Anyone ever seen a press release from them?

How about picking up the room tab for presenters at the covention?

A national standard might be tough since geography and regulations vary so widely.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like it is a good idea I'd like to do.

I need to determine how best to contain the water and how much containment I need.

15,000 gallons seems like alot!

I was thinking a simple, above ground system for 2,000 gallons.

JIMT

Reaction score
" it may make sense for ICA to push for a national standard of uniform incorporation of rainwater harvesting "

I agree doing rain water harvesting is a good idea but a national standard is a BAD IDEA. You could be sued by environmental groups for not meeting the standard. National rules and more government are bad ideas. If you have these rules then every car wash would have to be the same. Owners must be free to try new things that improve car washes to better provide for the customers.
JimT

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
One must keep in mind, stored rain water if left untreated, is very susceptible to microbial growth and water borne diseases. A system that will disinfect and deliver filtered rain water, such as the one Mac is employing as a must.