What's new

Rainwater Harvesting Again.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking that a cheap and reliable way to save on water would be rainwater harvesting.

I know it has been discussed before.

My idea is to utilize multiple totes (250 gal. each) alongside my wash on one end. I have the space.

I'd tie the tanks together at the bottom and catch the water off the front and rear of the carwash roof.

My above ground system could only be used 4/1-12/1 I think, but that's still pretty decent I think.

Anyone else doing this with any measure of success?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the same thing. My setup is a bit more difficult since I have a flat roof.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it would certainly be very low cost, as I can get the totes free and so plumbing it up and the pump would be the 2 main costs.

teamplex65

Reaction score
What are you doing with the water after you harvest it? While it is "green" I am not sure how public I would want to make it that I am using rainwater to wash a customers car, even if you filter it, or RO it.

If using it to water your yard during dry times then i think it is a great idea. or bay cleanup.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
All fresh water is rainwater!

I'm taking it off the roof instead of waiting for it to enter the river, town wells and pipes.

HELLO! Mcfly!!!

teamplex65

Reaction score
In the intrest of trying to have a productive dialogue why dont you try answering my question instead of replying with smart-ass responses?

I simply was implying that no matter how many times you filter it, if you are using it for your gatlin guns, or any of the wash cycle people may not care that it has been filtered until its the purest water in the world if you are using "rain water" on their car.

I did a little research and many people have noted pure rain water actually is (i think it depends heavily on your location). I still believe a little education of your customers will need to take place to help them understand your intentions and the purity of rain water.

NOTE: This is what a productive discussion actually looks like waxman.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
keepin it productive

Honestly I don't think rainwater harvesting would have anything but a positive connotation in the customers' mind. I may be wrong.

I think I would test some first to see what is in it for impurities.

How it tested would determine where I used it; not what customers think of it. For customers, if the place is clean and things work properly and it doesn't stink like crummy reclaim water then they don't give a hoot if you have a well or city water or or rainwater, IMO.

Talk about 'watersavers'! Rainwater seems like a great idea for many applications at the wash if it tests okay. I wouldn't waste time and money installing a system to water plants and wash bays down.

Customers aren't always that concerned with what's going on at a business. Our egos tell us they care how the sausage is made but they really don't.

I'm sure many customers wouldn't ever even think to ask what the (proposed) rainwater tanks were. They just want a good wash at a good price.

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm sure many customers wouldn't ever even think to ask what the (proposed) rainwater tanks were.
Ditto that. I have a wash that didn't have enough room for RO in the eq. room when we added an auto. When we built the auto bay we made an offset to one side for tanks. We have three 750 gallon tanks within 5' of the passenger side fender of each car while washing and I don't think anyone in the 6 years they have been there has asked what they are.

teamplex65

Reaction score
Many people were testing rain water at 5-10ppm, which I found quite shocking. I think it depends heavily on what part of the country you live in. If that is the case I would think a simple graph to show customers if they ask would show them that rain water is cleaner than most RO systems.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate my customers because I really do. However, assuming they'll ask about/care about/ruminate about some rainwater collection tanks is assuming ALOT.

I honestly feel they could care less. Even the 'earth friendly' aspect is likely to receive a big yawn from 90% of customers, I think, rather than an enthusiastic: "oooo! tell me more about your small efforts to help the environment!!!".

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic or jaded, but we're running carwashes not nuke plants.