What's new

Rain-X windshield washer fluid staining glass and paint

mr-gte

northeast Pa
Reaction score
Rain-X windshield washer fluid staining glass and paint.
The film will not come off with a touchless wash
What is Rain-X doing to fix this issue?
Rain-X's product is giving our customers a bad wash experience.
Any one else seen this?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used the Rain-X windshield washer fluid for years and I've never seen this problem. Perhaps it's staining a CCP coating and not the paint or windshield itself.

mr-gte

northeast Pa
Reaction score
Perhaps a Rain-X fan has time to call Rain-X ?

I see stains on the backs of SUV , Vans , Cars in Supermarket and Wal-Mart parking lots.
Stained mark vee's out of from nozzle in a spray pattern.
On rear window deicing wire area its crystallized
I have seen this for months now.Drivers confirm its orange Rain-X .
Perhaps a Rain-X fan has time to call Rain-X ?
I never used or purchased Rain-X

bcwang

Reaction score
I had tried rain-x washer fluid in the past (the blue kind). It ended up clogging my washer nozzles after using it for a few years. Over time the stream got weaker and weaker until it just leaked out on the hood instead of spraying. I tried picking at the nozzles with no success. So I took the nozzles off, and shot compressed air in the front. That's when I found this hardened large blue debris launched out across the room. Did it to both nozzles and they both work fine now.

This car was easy to fix, but my other cars may be much more problematic so I'm not inclined to try it anymore. It must be whatever chemical they use to make the windshield repel water, it just starts turning solid maybe from not enough use.

Oh yes, it did stain the paint blue. Well, stained until you get around to cleaning the car. It definitely was not permanent and no harder to wash off than water spots.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I have had one customer show up with the orange stains on their cars from the rain-x windshield washer fluid and we were able to scrub it off. They were not very happy that the fluid left that much residue on their car. I would think that some of the older cars with very dry white paint could be a bigger problem.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Oxidized paint tends to absorb colors especially if there is enough dye in the product. If the paint is dark this is not normally noticed. Under most cases it is not permanent and can be removed with a light duty compound or a good glaze/cleaner wax.

vxo

Reaction score
I've been using the blue Rain-X for a while now, and I haven't experienced staining or clogging, but I have had it leave a murky, white, nasty film on the windshield.

I experienced similar deposits once from a clearcoat protectant applied by a Ryko machine, which had sat so long in the barrel that it started to separate.

My guess is they left out some kind of emulsifier or stabilizer? Either way, I'm not getting the Rain-X stuff again.

I used to just dilute Simple Green with water for the washer... I may go back to that now. I'm in South Florida, so freezing isn't a problem unless you happened to park in a cold storage warehouse overnight...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen washer fluid stains many times. It's not necessarily RainX fluid, because many cars have this.

They are usually the cars that are neglected; never waxed, seldom washed.

Sometimes the stains can be polished out, sometimes not.

I wouldn't be quick to blame the product. The right circumstances can cause many things to stain paint, from washer fluid to sap to bird droppings. If you get a stain on some hot, dark-colored paint and wait too long, the stain etches into the clearcoat finish.

Cars that are well-cared for seldom experience staining problems because their owners wash the finish and apply wax frequently. If somebody spray-paints graffiti on a waxed finish, no problem. The paint sits on the wax and not the clearcoat directly. Same logic applies to washer fluid as well as other contaminants.

mr-gte

northeast Pa
Reaction score
wax window glass

STAIN IS ONLY around washer fluid nozzles and fan out from nozzle into spray area. Stains are on glass also , with no stain where wiper blade runs.
Rain X was fluid installed by customer.
After seeing this many times , should I mention to wax rear window glass ;)

McLeddy

Reaction score
My windshield, sunroof and rear window all had severe stains that could not be cleaned off - it seems as if they are actually etched into the glass. I initially thought I must have been driving behind a truck that leaked chemicals that splashed up on my car, but have recently come to the conclusion that the orange Rain-X All-Season 2 in 1 product is the culprit.

I went to the expense of replacing my windshield, and one day later noticed the stains again. The car had been parked in my garage after the windshield was replaced, the following day I backed out, used the windshield washers to clear some pollen off the windshield, drove about 5 miles to my appointment and returned home only to see stains one again around the edges of the windshield. My husband then told me that he had recently changed from the inexpensive blue washer fluid we had always used to the more expensive orange Rain-X brand. My brand new windshield is now stained again! Contacting Rain-X to see what they will do about all the damage to my car...