What's new

Rain X - Replace low pressure wax? Add Tire and Wheel?

Etowah

RockyMountain

Reaction score
We are adding low pressure Rain X to our self serve wash. We already have low pressure wax and we don't have tire and wheel / bug and tar. Will customers really use low pressure wax and then Rain X? Should we remove the low pressure wax and replace it with Tire and Wheel or some other product instead? Thanks for any thoughts.

KwikClean

Mr. Clean
Reaction score
I think you got it right when by saying to replace the other low pressure wax with a tire and wheel cleaner. Instead of having 2 functions with identical proprieties, you know add a function and improve on an existing one. What's the point in applying 2 kinds of spray waxes to the vehicle surface? Now you have an opportunity to market both upgrades " New spray wax surface protectant AND Tire/Wheel, Bug/Tar remover now offered".

Just my take :)

briteauto

Reaction score
I think you got it right when by saying to replace the other low pressure wax with a tire and wheel cleaner. Instead of having 2 functions with identical proprieties, you know add a function and improve on an existing one. What's the point in applying 2 kinds of spray waxes to the vehicle surface? Now you have an opportunity to market both upgrades " New spray wax surface protectant AND Tire/Wheel, Bug/Tar remover now offered".

Just my take :)
I agree 100%.

Just be careful not to dilute the Rain-X too much. I know an operator who has Rain-X in his self-serve bays, and since it is rather pricey, he dilutes it down quite a bit - too much in my opinion. Probably does it so someone can't use up 2-3 ounces of the concentrate if they decide to run a full five minute cycle of Rain-X.

A little will go a long way, but it can be cut too much.

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Great thoughts

Thanks for the input. So now the question becomes what product to add? Is there a tire & wheel chemical that doubles as bug and tar? Should we add one or the other and if so, which one?

MEP001

Reaction score
Tire/wheel cleaner is different from bug remover. I would have tire cleaner and presoak before adding Rain-X or a foam conditioner.

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Tire/wheel cleaner is different from bug remover. I would have tire cleaner and presoak before adding Rain-X or a foam conditioner.
We have pre-soak, foam brush, spot free and are going to replace a wax with Rain X. We can also easily add one more low pressure function. I was leaning toward tire and wheel/degreaser. Can presoak be advertised as presoak/bug remover, or will it disappoint?

MEP001

Reaction score
There are actual bug remover products that go on like a gel and do better on bugs than plain presoak. We don't have any heavy bug season here and I run the presoak strong, wet and hot, and no one has ever asked for anything better for bugs. If you don't have an extended bug season I'd recommend tire/engine cleaner.

Etowah