What's new

Rail Mounted Relay Question...

Etowah

jubalr

Reaction score
So in my equipment cabinet there is a series of rail mounted 24v relays. My question is general in nature on these relays; At the top of the relays are all red wires which is likely the power for the relays. At the bottom of each relay there are 3 connecting points. Some relays just have a connection on the first screw at the bottom. some have wires on the first and second connections. Are the functions the same? Since there is only 1 light I assume that the relays with 2 connections is firing both? Very few have anything connected on the 3rd, furthest back point.

I need to move a wire that turns on a light from 1 relay to another relay that is already powering a light and didn't know if any of the ports on the bottom would be fine.

Thanks,..
PXL_20230401_142324991.jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
They are presumably pre-wired for certain outputs, but I can't help but wonder why they don't all have a wire coming out. Seems like a waste of relays. Anyway, the middle set of screws at the bottom of the set (The "11" terminals) is the load in, the orange bus bar connects them all together. I would guess this is 120V, but you'd need to check. The "12" is normally closed, none of which are being used. If you connect a load to that, it will stay on until the relay gets a signal. The "14" are normally open, your regular switched on outputs when the relay coil is powered.

jubalr

Reaction score
They are presumably pre-wired for certain outputs, but I can't help but wonder why they don't all have a wire coming out. Seems like a waste of relays. Anyway, the middle set of screws at the bottom of the set (The "11" terminals) is the load in, the orange bus bar connects them all together. I would guess this is 120V, but you'd need to check. The "12" is normally closed, none of which are being used. If you connect a load to that, it will stay on until the relay gets a signal. The "14" are normally open, your regular switched on outputs when the relay coil is powered.
Thank you for the quick reply. So if you look at 509 you will see a black wire on both 11 & 14 and is feeding a device with 2 wire input that is looking for NO/NC event, which is working as it should. When the light come on it closes the circuit to the device. But I want to power a light that is currently on 501. So I assume I would then move it to 509 and share position '14' so that when the relay is activated it will power the light? Also, the red wires at the top are the Load In? relay.jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
So if you look at 509 you will see a black wire on both 11 & 14 and is feeding a device with 2 wire input that is looking for NO/NC event, which is working as it should. When the light come on it closes the circuit to the device. But I want to power a light that is currently on 501. So I assume I would then move it to 509 and share position '14' so that when the relay is activated it will power the light?
That sounds right.
Also, the red wires at the top are the Load In?
The red and white wires are the power to trigger the relay coils, which is presumably 24V DC. The switched load in is 11, with all the terminals connected by the orange insulated bus bar.

jubalr

Reaction score
That sounds right.

The red and white wires are the power to trigger the relay coils, which is presumably 24V DC. The switched load in is 11, with all the terminals connected by the orange insulated bus bar.
Awesome. Thanx again...

Blanco

Reaction score
So in my equipment cabinet there is a series of rail mounted 24v relays. My question is general in nature on these relays; At the top of the relays are all red wires which is likely the power for the relays. At the bottom of each relay there are 3 connecting points. Some relays just have a connection on the first screw at the bottom. some have wires on the first and second connections. Are the functions the same? Since there is only 1 light I assume that the relays with 2 connections is firing both? Very few have anything connected on the 3rd, furthest back point.

I need to move a wire that turns on a light from 1 relay to another relay that is already powering a light and didn't know if any of the ports on the bottom would be fine.

Thanks,..
View attachment 8088
The relay coils are 24VDC and are triggered by the red wires on top coming from the processor. The bottom has a red jumper bar that is connecting those relays together. It is fed by a red wire with a "number 1" tag meaning it is 120V. Terminals 12 and 14 are your normally open and normally close side of the relays. You've got about 9 relays there that are not being used. Look up numbers on your info sheet inside your cabinet door and see what those unused relays are there for. 503, 504, 505, 506, 510, 511, 512, 514, and 515.

Blanco

Reaction score
Is this the I5 or XP? Also what exactly are your trying to do? I know you said you need to move a wire but why. Do you suspect a relay is bad? If so you can just swap the coil and not have to move any wires. The coils usually go bad not the bases. If a base is bad then yes you will have to move the red trigger wire on top and the output wire on the bottom to a new relay.

jubalr

Reaction score
The relay coils are 24VDC and are triggered by the red wires on top coming from the processor. The bottom has a red jumper bar that is connecting those relays together. It is fed by a red wire with a "number 1" tag meaning it is 120V. Terminals 12 and 14 are your normally open and normally close side of the relays. You've got about 9 relays there that are not being used. Look up numbers on your info sheet inside your cabinet door and see what those unused relays are there for. 503, 504, 505, 506, 510, 511, 512, 514, and 515.
Thanks for the info. The unused relays are lights that I am not using; primarily for indicators of wash progress.

jubalr

Reaction score
Is this the I5 or XP? Also what exactly are your trying to do? I know you said you need to move a wire but why. Do you suspect a relay is bad? If so you can just swap the coil and not have to move any wires. The coils usually go bad not the bases. If a base is bad then yes you will have to move the red trigger wire on top and the output wire on the bottom to a new relay.
This is for the XP. When the installed the machine they tied together the red light at the entrance and the red light at the front that tells them to stop for the virtual treadle. The issue is that when the wash is over the green light flashes to tell them to proceed through the dryer and the red light at the entry goes off as well, even though a car is still in there progressing through the dryer.
With the help of the info I got here, I was able to locate where the wires were spliced together and run the entrance red light to where is should be, which is the 'wash in progress' signal. Now it stays red until the dryer is complete.

Blanco

Reaction score
Exactly I was going to say they should be separate. There’s the output for the bay stop light and then theres the output for wash in progress light like you mentioned. Also fyi your drive forward lights should be separated too. There should be outputs for an entrance drive forward light and a bay drive forward light. I just noticed the black wire on the jumper, most likely that jumper bar if separated into two. 120v being fed on the left side and 12vdc on the right side to power your lights.

jubalr

Reaction score
Exactly I was going to say they should be separate. There’s the output for the bay stop light and then theres the output for wash in progress light like you mentioned. Also fyi your drive forward lights should be separated too. There should be outputs for an entrance drive forward light and a bay drive forward light. I just noticed the black wire on the jumper, most likely that jumper bar if separated into two. 120v being fed on the left side and 12vdc on the right side to power your lights.
Yes, they are both separate now as they should be; finally after 2 years.. Thank you so much for your input. always appreciated.!