What's new

R/O waste back into rainwater tank

BillClinton

Reaction score
A 275 gallon tote won't fit through my equipment room door, so I need to use this suggestion and plumb the 55 gallon drums together. How do you plumb them together? I have only operated this car wash for a few months, and I'm still learning about plumbing.

Also, how do you suggest I make the platform. Is wood construction sufficient? I know this will be a lot of weight to support.

Final question. I have a 1/2 inch float valve already. Will this be sufficiently large? I've read that a gravity system like this needs to be oversized. Thanks for your help.
Anyone out there?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think you could tie the 55's together at the bottom with pvc and plastic fittings, that way they would equalize as they fill and drain. Why not just keep them on the floor and buy a little giant pump like i did for about $150?

It has a low level float so the pump won't burn up and another float in my feed tank for the auto that runs in tandem with city water float. This and an overflow w/vent and you are done.

I posted pics of my setup previously.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Just hook them together at the bottom as Waxman says or on the side near the bottom. How high do you need to elevate them? If it's only 2 or 3 feet, just stack up some concrete blocks and throw a piece of plywood or 2X whatevers on top. You can also space the blocks apart so you can store stuff under there. Use gravity if at all possible. You're doing this to save money, so don't use an unnecessary pump. You can always count on gravity and the upkeep is free.

BillClinton

Reaction score
1. Install some sort of overhead support system (like a heavy duty shelf)

2. Clean 2 or 3 old 55 gallon drums and put on side on your overhead support

3. Plumb all drums together using opening on drums closest to floor

4. Make sure caps are on in openings closest to ceiling except one which needs an overflow hose connected to a drain

5. Drill a hose in top of one drum and run waste hose from spot free to the new hole

6. Connect bottom plumbing to rinse tank via a $10-$20 low pressure float valve. You can get one from Kleen-Rite or your local cattle supply store (ask for a valve to control water for cattle in a water trough)

7. Your done
Since I couldn't get a larger tank through the door of my equipment room, I am having three 55-gallon drums plumbed together like this post describes. My question is whether each of the 55-gallon drums will need to have its own vent. This post only calls for one vent, but I'm thinking that the other 2 will need a vent at the top as well. I'm no plumber though. Some of you technical guys need to give me some advice please.
Thanks,

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
can't be too hard to vent all 3 but not sure if u need that.?

MEP001

Reaction score
If they're all at the same level and plumbed together, yes, they all need to be vented, otherwise the water can't displace the air. If you put a big enough overflow in one tank you won't have to worry about any of them overflowing.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the 55's I get have bungs on the top. Couldn't you just put a piece of mesh screen over the bung hole:p and that will be your vent?

MEP001

Reaction score
Or just leave the bung on loose.

BillClinton

Reaction score
The 55's will be on their side. I'm going to take the top bung off of one and use for a overflow drain/vent. The other two will need a vent a little higher up, because they won't have overflow drains. I guess I could just drill a hole in the tops of the barrels. If I took the bung off of all 3 barrels, I would have 3 overflow drains to deal with.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
If you have them laying on their sides, wouldn't you just screw in an elbow into the bung hole of the first 2, with a PVC going up higher than the last one which is the overflow on going to a drain or wherever?

BillClinton

Reaction score
If you have them laying on their sides, wouldn't you just screw in an elbow into the bung hole of the first 2, with a PVC going up higher than the last one which is the overflow on going to a drain or wherever?
Yes. I am going to do something like that.