What's new

Question about relays for Air Shamee motors

Mchas

Reaction score
With the single phase Air Shamee motor setup with 3 motors, I currently have 3 separate relays, one for each motor. I had one go bad and caused the fuse inside my bay faceplate to burn out, but the problem was I had no way to tell which of the three relays caused it so I just replaced all three.

Now I have another bay that seems to be having a similar issue. I am wondering why I need three separate relays? Is it possible to just have a single relay that controls all 3 motors? That way I can get a better quality relay (mine are Omron cheap ones) and just replace one instead of all three.

Will that work?

MEP001

Reaction score
That will definitely work. What is the voltage to them? 120v? 240v? 3 phase?

Mchas

Reaction score
240v, three motors, single phase.

The reason I thought of this is because I know my vacuums have a single relay driving two motors, so it seems like I should be able to do the same with the three air shamee motors. But then why do the install instructions have three separate relays?

MEP001

Reaction score
Most likely because it was cheaper. I can get those Omron relays for $6 each. A good DP relay is more like $40. When you run 240v, you're supposed to break both legs, so technically they're doing it wrong. You need a heavy contactor because the inrush current is 60-80 amps.

Mchas

Reaction score
Would one like this work? I use these for my vacuums and have several on hand.

This is a 3 pole but I could just use two? One for each leg of the 240v.

I could have the two wires come into this contactor and then have the two wires come out and split into three each, to connect to the motors.

Would that work?

Etowah