What's new

Quarter to Token change

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a machine that my customers can drop quarters into and receive tokens? We switched over to tokens 6 months ago and we are still having people show up with quarters which we gladly change for them, but I know when we aren't there we've got to be losing business due to people bringing quarters.
Thanks

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a machine that my customers can drop quarters into and receive tokens? We switched over to tokens 6 months ago and we are still having people show up with quarters which we gladly change for them, but I know when we aren't there we've got to be losing business due to people bringing quarters.
Thanks
On our 600 Series Standard Bill Changers we could order the right plate for one of our hoppers & program it the way you describe if the electronic acceptor could distinguish the token from other coins----that could be a big if.

I agree with I.B. Washincars on what would make the most sense though.

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
Of course, the obvious answer is that you should accept quarters. I'll never understand the reasoning behind not accepting them...but I digress.

This gizmo should do what you want.

http://www.billchangers.com/remote_coin_vault.htm
Goes without saying....we switched to tokes due to nearby apt complexes cleaning us out, and at this time it was too expensive to change over to multitrons to accept tokens or quarters on all bays and vacumes, vending ect...The acceptors we have will only accept one or the other.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Right now you can get the IDX X-20 from Etowah for $136 each (qty. 4 or more). Once in a while I compare my quarters collected to quarters dispensed. Usually it works out to about 60% of the quarters I remove from my vaults are carried in. I don't know how many acceptors you would need, but I bet you have already lost enough to pay for several. You can buy 4 for the price of that token converter gizmo.

Twodose

Reaction score
Do what you think is best for your business. Don't let anyone persuade you.
After almost 30 years in this business, I think all washes should be tokens only.

MEP001

Reaction score
What kind of changer do you have? I believe Hamiltons are still "pre-wired" to add a coin acceptor to do what you want, and a lot of older models have the coin acceptor mounting behind the plastic face. You could even cut the holes yourself with some careful drilling and add a single coin acceptor to it.

There are many reasons to go "all tokens," usually to prevent theft. If you haven't had problems with burglary, maybe your option might be to start changing acceptors to take both tokens and quarters. I've helped a number of people change over from quarters only to a mix of quarters/tokens in the changer (usually 75/25) to prevent changer abuse, and it works. To me it makes more sense than going all tokens if viewed from the customer standpoint because the ones getting change to use at the wash can use up the tokens first and take leftover "legal tender" as they're used to doing. As some have said, all-tokens can be done successfully, but it requires customer education with which I would prefer not to deal.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
I switched to giving quarters and tokens from my dollar machines and I only had to adjust coin switch. Changed all coin mechs. If a customers pulls in a bay or vac that won't take their quarters they will move to another spot. Same thing happens again, they go to some other wash and don't come back. You know people don't read signs. If you are lucky and have signs plastered every where, they just might notice one and go to coin change box. Coin mechs are going to cost you. If you remove the old ones and install the duel mechs you can sell your old mechs on E-bay and recoupe some of your cost. Thats what I did and the pain of cost was not as bad.

denduke

Reaction score
36 years in the business and I totally agree that "tokens only" is the way to go. We switched a few years ago and NO major problems at all. I said good bye to walk ons that got change only and to the burglars that were tearing apart my vac vaults. It's a safety issue too, and I honestly beleive that my customers feel more secure with the tokens. But, most of all, these three words come to mind: "Peace of Mind".

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am a tokens only operator and I'm changing over to accept both. I'll take my chances with theft in order to accept and earn more $$$.

BTW, I was 'pro tokens only' for quite awhile. What changed my mind were customers with quarters. I get em every day. My guess is that tokens only leaves ample $ on the table.

I bet if you were at your wash as much as I am (and maybe you are, I don't know), you would strongly consider accepting BOTH .25 & dollar tokens.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I am a tokens only operator and I'm changing over to accept both. I'll take my chances with theft in order to accept and earn more $$$.

BTW, I was 'pro tokens only' for quite awhile. What changed my mind were customers with quarters. I get em every day. My guess is that tokens only leaves ample $ on the table.

I bet if you were at your wash as much as I am (and maybe you are, I don't know), you would strongly consider accepting BOTH .25 & dollar tokens.
Very true.

I am tokens only. I opted to exchange 4 quarters for a token at my changers rather than to accept quarters in the bays. This way there is no "cash" in my bay/vac coinboxes for someone to go after.
No matter how you do it, I think you should still accept quarters.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I switched to tokens and quarters accepted in my most popular bay. Switching the rest as soon as I have a rainy day.

We'll see how it goes but I need a sign to announce the change.

Randy

Reaction score
You don’t need a sign, they’ll figure it out soon enough

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
okay randy; thanks.

if you recall i had trouble getting quarter acceptance to work. today i found out why; had a small token in the quarter spot on the SBII!!! You can't see it too well when it is in place but I started to fiddle with it today and saw the small token in there where the quarter should be. Rookie mistake #333.:eek:

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
What kind of changer do you have? I believe Hamiltons are still "pre-wired" to add a coin acceptor to do what you want, and a lot of older models have the coin acceptor mounting behind the plastic face. You could even cut the holes yourself with some careful drilling and add a single coin acceptor to it.
We've got a Standard Change Maker MC500 RLDA. It's got a 4" x 7" cut-out that has a plate over it now so it looks as if something could be added. I'm looking for a changer that can be incorporated into the existing bill changer one that would dispense tokens for quarters. Lots of people still show up with handfuls of quarters and while we're there we trade them out for tokens. I just hate to think how much bussiness we lose while we're not there.

Thought about changing over to multi-trons so as to accept both quarters and tokens in all the equipment, but would have to add 14 of them if we included all the vacs and cost wise thats just not possible now.