What's new

Quality of Floor Heat Boiler Antifreeze

Etowah

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm either going to be installing a new boiler, efficiency modifications or something similar and a question came to mind. My car wash is 20 years old and I have no idea about the quality of my antifreeze solution. Is there a simple way to check? With these additions/modifications, there is a good possibility that I will need to add some antifreeze to the system, is that alright to do?

Is anyone familiar with a car wash owner using an alternative energy boiler?

Thanks!

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
You can use the same device used to check the antifreeze in your car. The one that you read the number of floating balls in to determine the strength of your fluid. Get them at w-mart, auto zone, etc.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Is it possible to open the "overflow reservoir" and just pull a sample of fluid from there? From what I read, I am basically checking the specific gravity, correct?

The next and obvious question is, what is the best method for changing fluid if it is necessary? Should the tubing be cleaned with some type of descaler? Just looking to make sure I'm on the right track TIA!

MEP001

Reaction score
You shouldn't need a descaler if the antifreeze was good quality and it was mixed with clean water.

The specific gravity tells the freeze point - I'm not sure how that relates to its effectiveness as a heating agent.

soapy

Reaction score
Stop, First you need to determine if you have propylene glycol or ethel glycol in your system. Most of the time it will be the RV type of anitfreexe not used in car coolant systems. This takes a different tester than the Wal mart type. A good heating and cooling supply store can help you out on this. It is also wise to test the antifreeze for other chemicals.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Stop, First you need to determine if you have propylene glycol or ethel glycol in your system. Most of the time it will be the RV type of anitfreexe not used in car coolant systems. This takes a different tester than the Wal mart type. A good heating and cooling supply store can help you out on this. It is also wise to test the antifreeze for other chemicals.
Not to mention the fact that mixing the two types can cause clogging after a few years.

If it's 20 years old, I would just remove the old stuff, buy some new propylene glycol and mix 33% glycol / 66% water.

Big

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for removing the old solution? Some kind of suction pump? If I do a 2:1 ratio, can someone give me an estimate of how much glycol I would need for a system that heat roughly 3600 sq.ft.?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
John,

Your wash was built at the same time as one of mine by the same company using a raypak boiler system from Huron Valley Supply. They used ethel glycol in the system at that time.

Soapy - What is the advantage to using propylene glycol? Better heat transfer?

soapy

Reaction score
Ethyl glycol is not legal to use anymore in floor heat systems because if you get a leak somewhere it is toxic. Propylene glycol is like RV antifreeze and if you accidentally drank some it would not kill you or if you spill it it won't make the ground toxic.

MEP001

Reaction score
Is there a way to unhook the reservoir and connect water to it? You'll probably have to siphon out as much as you can and flush the system with clean water, either with water flow or by running clean water through until it's clear. Be sure to mix with RO or distilled water when you refill it.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Is there a way to unhook the reservoir and connect water to it? You'll probably have to siphon out as much as you can and flush the system with clean water, either with water flow or by running clean water through until it's clear. Be sure to mix with RO or distilled water when you refill it.
Why would you use ro water when it is very agressive to mild steel and a lot of metals that could be in the heating system?

This is why ro systems use poly or stainless in their systems.

Would it not be better to just use soft water and not take the chance of ro water?

MEP001

Reaction score
I admit I'm more familiar with automotive heating systems than with floor heat and propylene glycol, but automotive coolant has properties that protect metals from rust and corrosion. I'm only assuming that RV antifreeze sontains something similar. A few vehicles I've owned even specify using distilled water mixed with coolant, which is why I suggested it. I inherited a work truck in which someone had put hard water, and it ate dozens of pinholes through the radiator which had had to be replaced.