What's new

Pumping 3X foam to PDQ M5 Instead of Vacuum

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

I have a M5 and the 3x foam is a pain and delivery is very finicky as their are many very small orifices in the system. My main complaint is uneven chemical dispensing. So I was thinking that perhaps installing a tipple peralistic pump to feed the chemical into the injectors. So basically, the M5 setup remains the same, but I remove the white tip of the injector and install the pump between the chemical tank and the tip less injector. That way I can ensure that all three colors are dispensed the same.

This is the pump I'm thinking of using http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-18813-triple-head-pump-system-14.aspx. Not cheap at almost $500!

Any comments?

Big

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
Are you spanning a bay or two between the pump stand and the auto bay? If so, and the feed from the stand to the bay is in 3/8" you could be getting excessive back pressure on the 3X injectors (be sure they are .057). Replacing the feed from the stand to the bay with 1/2" solves this problem - the 3/8 hose running down the rails is fine.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Dreese,

No, pump stand right next to bay/bridge. The setup works...just not consistently well. So if you're gonna have 3x foam for show and it's not great, kinda defeats the purpose.

Big

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
Big,

You can certainly go to the stenner pump - I think that pumping directly into the injectors should work okay, but you might be better served by replacing the injector with a tee and a metering valve to control the water flow rate. Obviously you'll have to use the triple foam signal to drive a relay to power the pump.

On our Washworld systems (Similar to your M5) I find I do have some draw inconsistency between the three different colours of product - My blue in particular is less viscous than the red and yellow and therefore draws quicker. However I find my biggest cause of inconsistency with the foam quality is in the foam tube where the aeration material is located. I find this material has to be packed tight enough to slightly restrict flow, but not so tight as to prevent the injector from working - I have had both scenarios.

Also for what its worth - Washworld uses 070 injectors not 057 injectors on the triple foam - This would give more fluid than your setup. However Washworld also uses bigger line to supply the triple foam manifolds than PDQ.

I have never had a problem getting consistent foam, but sometimes it involves a couple hours of repacking tubes, testing check valves, and replacing / calibrating injectors. Usually once every 6 months for most sites.