What's new

Pump room heater

Kirb

Reaction score
I need a heater for my pump room. Which type works the best and most efficient for the room radiant vent-free natural gas, a blue flame vent-free natural gas or electric?
Thanks in advance,

Kirb

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have 2 vent-free NG heaters (Both 30K BTU), one in my basement and one in my garage. They have been priceless during the two extended power outages we have had in our area. The one in my basement kept my house liveable when it was 0 degrees outside. If I had it to do over, all of my washes would have these in the pump room. It's a no-brainer, don't use a heater that requires electricity.

Reds

Reaction score
I have a vent free propane heater (no electric required) in each of my mechanical rooms. You can get them almost anywhere - Graingers, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc. I turn it on if the temp is going below 20? F. I also have backup electric heat that is on a line voltage tstat that comes on if the temp in the room gets below 40?F. If my power is out I crank up the propane heater all the way and leave it on.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
fire concerns?

Methanol is flammable, and the vapors can collect in low areas, can flash back, etc...

Anybody worried about the use of heaters and their winter/antifreeze soaps? Check out section 5 of the methanol msds: http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm
What (if any) precautions do you take?

I just have one of those small tank-top propane heaters, but I completely shut down my methanol FB soap when I use the heater, it just makes me nervous.

In case youre curious as to exactly how flammable methanol is, when I was a kid we made pepsi can stoves as a project on a camping trip once. (OK, they were beer cans. Yes, dad brought beer and guns and knives camping back in the 60s, and let us play with fire too.) Cooked stew, coffee, etc on them. The fuel was gas line antifreeze, which is simply expensive methanol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN865oRI7-Q

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
can anybody give a name/model # of such a heater?

Randy

Reaction score
There are a lot of them on EBay. Do a search “Ventless Heaters “ You might want to check your local building codes. They aren't legal in every state.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had one like this and sold it; not legal in MA.

I wonder if I could just tie one into my current vents for boilers and use as supplemental heat for IBA.

Will ask my gas guy.