What's new

pump rebuild

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Successful Failure :-(

Well, Jimmy brought his pumps down yesterday. I started with the leaker. Before removing the head (because it's easier with it attatched to the pump) I showed him how to remove the valves and what to look for. All was good with the valves. I only had enogh o-rings for one pump so I saved them for the other pump. Upon removing the head I immediately noticed that the HP seals were residing where the LP seals should. Going deeper, I discovered the LP seals where the HP seals should be. They were also in backwards (spring showing). Obviously, the problem with this pump was improper assembly so I went no further. I installed a new seal kit, with Jimmy close by, and buttoned it back up. This pump is now ready for a few more years of trouble free service once he bolts it back down...WRONG!!!

I got word from JB that it leaked as bad as before...f@#$%k! :eek: I told him that it must be a broken plunger or it's bolt seal, or an outside chance that a seal case was damaged or cracked. I didn't feel that it was the latter, since I had just had them in my hands hours earlier. I told him that he could take off the head and check the plungers if he felt comfortable enough. He did, and found a broken plunger. I can't believe I didn't check that, but was so sure when I found the seals in such disarray that the problem was located and nothing more was needed...silly me :(.

The other pump was a slam-dunk. I removed the valves first, to find the o-rings broken on four of them. The head was also washed out. This pump donated the plunger to fix the other one. I instructed JB to contact Cat about the lifetime warranty on that head. Hopefully, he will be able to build his pump back up when he gets his new head, and oh yeah, a plunger.

So I failed in fixing JB's pump, but succeeded in teaching him to do it himself. That was my plan the whole time ;)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Well, Jimmy brought his pumps down yesterday.

So I failed in fixing JB's pump, but succeeded in teaching him to do it himself. That was my plan the whole time ;)
Pat,

You are gentleman & a scholar: Just another one of those "Give a man a repair-fix and you enable him for a day. Teach a man to fix-repair and you enable him for a lifetime" situations!

mike walsh king koin of bismarck

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
It's funny. Now that I know it's there I can see the problem with that middle plunger plain as day on the picture.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
In my 30+ years in this business, I have rarely paid to have the same repair job done twice. I make it a point to closely observe what the first repair entailed and then the next time I do it myself. I figure that unless something was built by some high tech robotic process, there is almost nothing out there that I can't figure out. It blows me away reading the horror stories on this forum from operators who are totally reliant on someone else to perform all the maintenance on their wash.

Randy

Reaction score
Jim, Sure glad you got it going again. I was about to send you another pump.

In my 30+ years in this business, I have rarely paid to have the same repair job done twice. I make it a point to closely observe what the first repair entailed and then the next time I do it myself. I figure that unless something was built by some high tech robotic process, there is almost nothing out there that I can't figure out. It blows me away reading the horror stories on this forum from operators who are totally reliant on someone else to perform all the maintenance on their wash.
Washmee, it can go both ways. A lot of times the car wash owner is their own worst enemy. I’ve got a couple of customers who will try to save a few bucks by trying to fix there Bill Validators or Hopper’s themselves only to call me or send it to me in a basket or 5 gallon bucket. I love to put something back together with half the parts missing.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Jim, Sure glad you got it going again. I was about to send you another pump.

Washmee, it can go both ways. A lot of times the car wash owner is their own worst enemy. I’ve got a couple of customers who will try to save a few bucks by trying to fix there Bill Validators or Hopper’s themselves only to call me or send it to me in a basket or 5 gallon bucket. I love to put something back together with half the parts missing.
Thats true Randy. I guess you have to know just how much you can handle before you start.

MEP001

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffett said:
It's funny. Now that I know it's there I can see the problem with that middle plunger plain as day on the picture.
I wondered about that myself - I thought it was a smear of graphite lube from the low pressure seals when the pump was put back together. It makes me think now that whoever repaired the pump (and clearly had no idea what they were doing) might have dropped the crankcase with the manifold off and damaged it.

I would refuse to pay the repair bill (The guys in Lexington, not the 6-pack you paid I.B.).

Back4More

Equipment & Chem Supplier
Reaction score
For what it's worth, just about every pump manufacturer I sell will factory repair the pumps. What you do run into as was stated is because of the discounting being done today by most companies, myself and Kleen-Rite included, it just isn't worth sending an older pump out for repair. You have to do it yourself. Being a CAT dealer, I know they have instructional DVD's available at no charge for simple repairs.

Ron

toddmullens

Reaction score
For what it's worth, just about every pump manufacturer I sell will factory repair the pumps. What you do run into as was stated is because of the discounting being done today by most companies, myself and Kleen-Rite included, it just isn't worth sending an older pump out for repair. You have to do it yourself. Being a CAT dealer, I know they have instructional DVD's available at no charge for simple repairs.

Ron
Would replacing the bearings on the crank shaft be considered a simple repair? I received the DVD from CAT and from what I can recall, it contained nothing on the 5cp2120W model. I am trying to decided if the project is worth doing or not. I took the side cover off and immediately couldn't figure out how to remove the bearing. I didn't waste too much time on it, considering its 3am plus I know my limits to some extent and try to know when to say when! I dont want to mail in a bucket of parts to anybody! Hitting the sack, but if anybody has any advice on replacing the bearings, please feel free to share it.

MEP001

Reaction score
toddmullens said:
Would replacing the bearings on the crank shaft be considered a simple repair?
I'd have to say no. Ideally you'd have a press to replace the bearings, but you can do it with a hammer and a soft piece of metal. I've used a piece of "C" aluminum to drive the old one off and the new one back on. You'll want to hammer on the center race ONLY, never on the outer one when installing the new bearing.

You have to remove the entire driveshaft to replace the bearings. To do that, you need to remove both bearing covers and the back plate, then remove the connecting rods. I believe they're marked with numbers - they need to go back the way they were. Once the pistons are off, the shaft will come out through one of the bearing cover openings.

They probably didn't make a separate video for the 5CP because aside from the seal casings that don't screw in, all servicing is the same.

agent

Reaction score
oil seals

How do you all remove the oil seals in 5cp without damaging the pump housing or rod plungers? I have used wood screws in the past, just thread the screw into the seal and pull em out but the last time i did i damaged the rod plunger....

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a flat-head screwdriver. It helps to use an old one with worn edges. With the piston all the way in, slip the screwdriver under the lip of the seal without touching the piston shaft where the seal rides, then use the shoulder of the piston to pry the seal out. You may have to rotate the pump so the piston pushes the screwdriver and seal out for you.