What's new

pump question.

coomerclay

Reaction score
I need some advice auto care experts! Does anyone know if a Hypro pump would work for self serve washing? I am not very familiar with it at all but my neighbor said he had one so I wanted to confirm that it would work for that use without damaging anything. If so, I found this SpraySmarter website that has the hypro pump but I don't normally buy stuff online. Can someone let me know if they have ever bought anything from that website before? I would like to hear a review first. Thanks for all the information you can offer me!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If you are going to buy a pump anyway, buy a normal car wash pump. Arimitsu is what I use and Cat is the biggest name in pumps in the CW industry. Hypro is a pretty obscure pump and that website looks to be for ag stuff. Check with Windtrax, Kleen-Rite,or Dultmeier for car wash needs.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hypro does have some pumps for self-serve car washes, but they just don't hold up. I've rebuilt thousands of pumps, and of all the Hypros I serviced about half weren't worth repairing. General pumps cost about the same as Hypro, they're much easier to service and the parts for them are about half what Cat pump parts cost.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
I need some advice auto care experts! Does anyone know if a Hypro pump would work for self serve washing? I am not very familiar with it at all but my neighbor said he had one so I wanted to confirm that it would work for that use without damaging anything. If so, I found this SpraySmarter website that has the hypro pump but I don't normally buy stuff online. Can someone let me know if they have ever bought anything from that website before? I would like to hear a review first. Thanks for all the information you can offer me!
I took a quick look at the web site listed above and the hypro pumps listed there are not good for self servs,,,I have several hypro model no 2512?? (I think) that are nearly 20 years old, I have rebuilt them several times and they are doing me a great job, ,keep oil changed and good valves and o-rings and they run a long time.

MEP001

Reaction score
robtl said:
I have several hypro model no 2512?? (I think) that are nearly 20 years old, I have rebuilt them several times and they are doing me a great job, ,keep oil changed and good valves and o-rings and they run a long time.
If you take proper care of them they aren't too bad, but the problem I always saw was that people would run them until they weren't making pressure at all anymore and were leaking. There were quite a few where the seal casing/oil seal retainer piece had corroded into the crankcase so badly that I couldn't get them out without completely destroying them and dismantling the crankcase, at which point the cost of parts and labor would run nearly as much as a new pump. There aren't many pumps out there that can get to that point even with the worst neglect.