What's new

Pump Motor Noise

Rodebaugh1

Reaction score
I shut a bay down for unrelated repairs a couple of days ago. When I started back up and decided to test everything, the pump ran for about 2 seconds and popped the breaker. I initially thought I had a pump issue. Disconnected a few things and pulled the belt off of the pump and tried to run just the motor. This does not sound good. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
It could be a dropped leg. If a 3-phase motor loses power to one of the three inputs, it will not spin up under any load and will trip the breaker or the thermal overload, but it can run with no load. That sounds like an electrical hum and not a bad motor bearing. It's also possible the motor has gone bad. Start by checking the power to ground of all three legs.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Your motor has greaseable bearings. Did you grease them?
Hard to tell from your video, but it sounds like the bearings are headed south.
What is the amp draw without the pump connected? It should be significantly less than the FLA amps on the motor plate.
If the amp draw is low, install the belt, not over tightened and open your unloader and see where the amp draw is under low load, increase the pressure until you hit FLA of the motor. If the amperage skys and the belt starts to slip it may be the pump.
Hard to troubleshoot from afar.

MEP001

Reaction score
Your motor has greaseable bearings.
No, it doesn't. Baldor 3 & 5 HP motors are not to be greased. It will only go into the motor windings and cause it to overheat and burn out.
it sounds like the bearings are headed south.
Listen again. Sounds like electrical hum. The easy way for him to check would be to listen to the motor spinning after shutting it off. Also, the symptom of throwing the breaker does not indicate a bad bearing. It would be so much louder if it got that bad that it would be beyond a hum, it would be a death rattle.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
That motor has grease zerks. They are definitely ported directly to the bearings. and should get a pump of grease every once in a while.
Of course, do not over grease.

MEP001

Reaction score
That motor has grease zerks. They are definitely ported directly to the bearings.
Nope. First, the bearings themselves have no path for the grease to flow into the bearing. They are sealed and permanently lubricated. Second, unless you remove the plug on the bottom of the motor (Bet you didn't know that part either) the grease literally has nowhere to go except to squeeze out around the outer bearing race and into the windings. It's in the motor instruction booklet, and I've had them apart.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've only put bearings in a couple of Baldor motors. They were just as MEP said, equipped with grease fittings and no path for grease to go into the sealed bearing.

slash007

Reaction score
Nope. First, the bearings themselves have no path for the grease to flow into the bearing. They are sealed and permanently lubricated. Second, unless you remove the plug on the bottom of the motor (Bet you didn't know that part either) the grease literally has nowhere to go except to squeeze out around the outer bearing race and into the windings. It's in the motor instruction booklet, and I've had them apart.
I used to grease my Baldor motors until I had one fail and when I took it apart, the grease was everywhere as it had no where to go. One less thing on my maintenance list now.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Lubricant Baldor motors are pregreased, normally with Polyrex EM (Exxon Mobil). If other greases are preferred, check with a local Baldor Service Center for recommendations. Procedure Clean the grease fitting (or area around grease hole, if equipped with slotted grease screws). If motor has a purge plug, remove it. Motors can be regreased while stopped (at less than 80°C) or running. Apply grease gun to fitting (or grease hole). Too much grease or injecting grease to quickly can cause premature bearing failure. Slowly apply the recommended amount of grease, taking 1 minute or so to apply. Operate motor for 20 minutes, then reinstall purge plug if previously removed. Caution: Keep grease clean. Mixing dissimilar grease is not recommended.

Rodebaugh1

Reaction score
Well, now I'm as confused as every about the greasing requirements. Mine is a Model M3211T and is about 16+ years old and it appears to be obsolete. I first checked voltages and looked for a dropped leg. Everything checked ok. So, I pulled the motor. It was still quite noisy just spinning it by hand. I did pump a few shots of grease in the front and rear fittings before reading the instructions about whether to grease, how and what type of grease to use. My bad. It did slow some of the noise down but it still sounded bad. Since I only operate 4 of my 5 bays, I pulled the motor from my idle bay and installed it. It appears to spin just fine and is very quiet. I'll re-install the pump tomorrow and check it out. Since the bad motor is at least 16 years old, I won't even mess with trying to have it repaired. I'm not sure who originally installed the old Carolina Pride pump stand at my wash, but they certainly never intended for a 68 year old man with gout and bad knees to change out a motor. There was a lot of foul language used while trying to change out the motor on the bottom row of the stand. Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
Mine is a Model M3211T
EM3211T is the direct replacement.
Since the bad motor is at least 16 years old, I won't even mess with trying to have it repaired.
It doesn't cost much to replace the bearings, but since it throws the breaker it has probably burned something in the windings. It will cost more than a new motor to have that repaired.

Randy

Reaction score
I'm not sure who originally installed the old Carolina Pride pump stand at my wash, but they certainly never intended for a 68 year old man with gout and bad knees to change out a motor. There was a lot of foul language used while trying to change out the motor on the bottom row of the stand. Thanks for the help guys!
Wait until your 70 and you have to do heavy work at the car wash, it takes me about 4 days to recover anymore.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Wait until your 70 and you have to do heavy work at the car wash, it takes me about 4 days to recover anymore.
I feel your pain brothers.

I had to replace a well pump that circulates the floor heat this morning. Climbing up and down off of the concrete floor was a challenge. The hardest part was getting the unions to break loose after being in place for many years. I almost "phoned a friend" but put some heat on them and they let go.

OurTown

Reaction score
When you get old you need bigger tools.