What's new

Pump life expectancy?

Yeti55

Reaction score
Hey everyone ,

What kind of time is everyone getting out of their pumps ? Have been running general pumps and average 2ish years on each pump.

Thinking they should be giving me more time than that. Wondering if I have something going on causing them to give out prematurely

OurTown

Reaction score
Our Cat 623 pumps are over 20 years old. There are some Cat pumps out there that are twice as old as that and still running.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I use CAT 310 pumps. Last year we replaced one that was 17 years old. We stay on top of maintenance, oil changes, replace water seals & valves regularly. What's the problem you're having with your General pumps?

Randy

Reaction score
I don't understand when you say your getting 2 years out of the pump. Are you getting 2 years out of the seals? or are you saying the pump is totally gone after 2 years? Or are you saying the hesd is washed out after 2 years? I've got a couple of the original Cat 310 pumps that are 42 years old. I've put new seal in them god only knows how many times.

Yeti55

Reaction score
This is my first wash and only a couple months into ownership , but talking to previous owner and looking at dates written on pumps , they seem to loose pressure due to seals / valves every two-three years.

Randy

Reaction score
This is my first wash and only a couple months into ownership , but talking to previous owner and looking at dates written on pumps , they seem to loose pressure due to seals / valves every two-three years.
That would be about right, 2 or 3 years on a set of seals and valves. I don't know much about General pumps. But you want to look for head wash out whenever you replace the seals or valves.