What's new

Pump Check on possible new to me wash

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
So I finally got in to see the pump room. Setup was great, I can see where everything in maintained regularly and very well. I had a expert in maintenance go with me and he was very happy with the setup.

I was told everything is 10 or 11 years old.

The pumps are 310 cats and look very good.
The systems was an AOK. And again looked very good. Very well maintained as well.

Was told he purchased new for $26k 10-11 years ago.

Everything works.

Vacuums look good, about the same age, but he has always maintained them as well.

What am I missing that would help on evaluating the equipment? And I realize I should have got a model on the AOK.

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
Could be. The current owner has a vague memory when dates are concerned. He’s older.

mac

Reaction score
I want to know how he bought the place forr 26K. Even 10 years ago. Doesn’t seem right.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I think he purchased the AOK equipment for $26k...

mac

Reaction score
That makes much more sense.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I think he purchased the AOK equipment for $26k...
I would push for more detailed records. Ask if he has an accountant that can provide some historical information. Keep in mind, you are buying a wash with equipment made by a company that no longer exists. If your maintenance expert isn't a car wash expert you are going to have to figure out a lot of things on your own. Even if he is, I doubt he's gonna work for free. Most SS equipment runs off the same principles but each has it's own quirks. Does he have wiring/plumbing diagrams? What kind of vacuums? What about the meterboxes in the bays? Do they have cc or is there room to add it? Who made the booms in the bay and are parts still available?

MEP001

Reaction score
Keep in mind, you are buying a wash with equipment made by a company that no longer exists.
There is nothing to AOK equipment that you would have to get from AOK other than the stands or tanks. Every single part on it is available from Kleeb-Rite.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
There is nothing to AOK equipment that you would have to get from AOK other than the stands or tanks. Every single part on it is available from Kleeb-Rite.
You're right, but I never said that or implied it. Where they get the parts from is completely irrelevant to what I said. My point is I routinely get calls from people with equipment from manufacturers that no longer exist in the hope I can at least point them in a direction. In almost every single case the person they bought it from assured them it was in great shape and easily maintained.....and then they found out otherwise. No technical documentation, no maintenance records, no records of any "field modifications" the previous owner made, no reputable tech that knows anything about the stuff. The history of this industry is littered with people who lost their tails because they didn't know what they were getting into.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
My point is I routinely get calls from people with equipment from manufacturers that no longer exist in the hope I can at least point them in a direction.
I've done the same for 20 years. There's always a solution. Keltner timers and Specialty Equipment "diode boxes" were the main ones. There are people who are willing to learn how their equipment works so they can repair it themselves and there are those who are completely and hopelessly lost if they can't get a direct replacement. I'm just saying the equipment in question, regardless of where the parts come from (which was only mentioned as a potential resource), can be repaired and kept running forever without replacing it.

sparkey

Reaction score
I would push for more detailed records. Ask if he has an accountant that can provide some historical information. Keep in mind, you are buying a wash with equipment made by a company that no longer exists. If your maintenance expert isn't a car wash expert you are going to have to figure out a lot of things on your own. Even if he is, I doubt he's gonna work for free. Most SS equipment runs off the same principles but each has it's own quirks. Does he have wiring/plumbing diagrams? What kind of vacuums? What about the meterboxes in the bays? Do they have cc or is there room to add it? Who made the booms in the bay and are parts still available?
Car wash equipment is not rocket science. Anyone with industrial maintenance background would have no issues working on carwash equipment. It would probably be the simplest piece of equipment they worked on all day.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Car wash equipment is not rocket science. Anyone with industrial maintenance background would have no issues working on carwash equipment. It would probably be the simplest piece of equipment they worked on all day.
It's not rocket science. I never said it was. But the number of times over the 20+ years I have been doing this that someone calls me claiming to be an electrician, plumber, industrial maintenance tech and they are completely befuddled by the low voltage controls or even the plumbing is not insignificant. Heck, the number of car wash "techs" who don't know which end of a screwdriver to use is getting ridiculous. I've seen more that a few people lose everything because they bought a wash they were assured was well maintained and easily repaired when it wasn't in any way, shape, or form and there weren't any qualified people or documentation to rely on.