What's new

Pulsatron conversion to Flojets

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
Pulsatron pumps used on Vectors are expensive and finicky. Anyone considered and tried converting to Flojets? Is this possible? Anyone done it? Any thoghts? Thanks!!!

Bob Koo

Reaction score
I've been replacing the Pulsafeeder pumps on my Vectors with Iwaki pumps that have proven trouble free. The pumps are 360 stroke versus the 80 strokes on the Pulsafeeders.The stroke is controlled digitally and produces a product flow to the Wall Manifold in a steady stream versus the squirting action on the PulsaFeeders.

The come with a standard 110V plug, but I just cutoff the connector and hard wire the pump. This has been a blessing in diguise since I don't have to worry about oxidation on the plug/pin connector provided by Belanger. I'll just use the dielectric grease on the other plug/pins on the rest of the gantry.
This is just what has been working for me.

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
How much presure does the Pulsatron generate? Does the Vector setup require a certain amount of pressure to inject chemical into the mixing chamber? If not, isn't a centrifugal pump overkill for this purpose? Keep in mind, this pump has to deal with high strength chemical before dilution.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are the pumps really failing, or are you just replacing them when they stop pumping? I've serviced Vectors for years and operate a wash with one, and I've never once seen a Pulsatron pump fail.

If you replace the valve seats or the entire valve assemblies with Teflon ones you likely won't have any more problems. The rubber seats swell from certain chemicals and waxes and it can't pump when that happens.

petitemoose

Reaction score
If memory serves, I read somewhere that pulsatron pumps can generate up to 125 psi. The check valves plumbed into the output lines can get gummed up and prevent consistent results. As far as necessary psi to inject into the line, that is a subjective answer. If you're running the pump speed at 7 your injection needs will be low to overcome pressure against the check valve as compared to pressures obtained at a pump speed of 26.
If you want to convert it to a Flojet it would be easily accomplised with a Flojet Mixing/Pumping station of your choice a 110V Solenoid valve and a good check valve. Simply connect the output of the Flojet station through a check valve into the desired line feeding the Vector. Connect the wires that used to go to the Pulsatron pump and instead have it activate the solenoid valve that you plumbed to the input side of the flojet station. In other words, have the solenoid valve turn the air to the flojet on and off.

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
Thanks moose. You hit the nail on the head. The Flojet connection is exactly what I had in mind except an air regulator prior to the 110V solenoid to adjust Flojet output pressure & volume. Theoretically, injection pressure from chemical pump should be higher than whatever pressure in the chamber but not necessarily above the preseeure generated by the Cat pump since mixing chamber has open outlet through the nozzles. Since most operators carry spare Flojets instead of Pulsatrons, this increases the usefulness of our spares inventory and reduce total inventory cost. Does any know if Viton can handle harse checmicals straight out of containers without dilution?

MEP001

Reaction score
I think you're going to run into a few problems. First, a Flojet won't consistently deliver an even flow at a low volume. That's precisely the reason they use the Pulsatrons. Second, the strength of the chemical will almost certainly result in a short life expectancy of a Flojet. Third, back to my question above, are you certain the Pulsatrons are failing?

You might also consider a peristaltic pump.

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
It appears to have some trouble providing consistent flow to the mixing chamber. Damager to Flojet by non-diluted chemical strength is a concern as well. I'm simply considering alternatives prior to inevitable.

Etowah