What's new

Pulsation sound in attic - Soap/Wax Functions

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've encountered a new issue specific to one of the bays. When I activate the soap, wax, and pre-soak functions, a significant pulsating sound emanates from the attic, and the wand's pressure fluctuates. Interestingly, this issue doesn't occur when the rinse (HP) function is selected.

I've researched similar threads related to this problem and suspect it could be linked to Cat 310 pump valves. However, since the system operates normally during rinse cycles, this might not be the root cause (hence, I have not opened it yet). I've also thoroughly examined the soap/wax hose for any visible leaks and replaced the balanced regulator, but unfortunately, it hasn't resolved the issue.

I've included a picture illustrating how my pump is configured (We use cold water for Soap/Wax). If anyone has any insights or guidance on what might be causing this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Pulsation and pressure fluctuations are typically caused by air leaks in the pump's supply plumbing.
Since this issue exists when only when soap/wax/presoak are selected I would suspect a loose fitting, or a cracked product hose.

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I did consider that possibility. If there were a leak or a damaged product hose, it would have likely occurred during the rinse cycle, as the product hose between the solenoid and pump remains unchanged during this phase. Furthermore, if there were a crack between the solenoid and the mixture tank, I can imagine with one function selection but not with 3 functions. Additionally, upon inspection, I did not observe any visible cracks in the hose or any plumbing components connected from the product side.

I am pretty sure I am missing something here or it does not make sense to me yet.

Randy

Reaction score
I'm guessing that your rinse cycle is fed by city water pressure and the functions that are causing the pump to pulsate the water is fed from the water tank. If this is the case you have pulling air in somewhere in the part of the system that is fed by the water tank.

Kevin James

Reaction score
That everyone else has said you've pulling in air somewhere. Is the side that pulsates the hot water side?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Makes sure your valve under the hot water tank is open enough and you're not cavitating. Also the check valve under the tank can become obstructed. Take the inlet hose off the pump and verify adequate water flow. Make sure the regulator is not leaking water. Anywhere on the inlet side that is leaking water can draw in air when the pump is running.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This has happened on my self-serve pumps when the mesh screen on the feed tanks gets dirty. The water flow is restricted and pump cavitates.

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Update: Thanks to Greg's guidance, I was able to resolve the problem. It turns out that the valve under the tank wasn't open wide enough, causing air to leak (I am not sure how this air would come in) when the soap or detergent was turned on. My technician informed me that it shouldn't be fully opened, as doing so would lead to a low product draw. Unbeknownst to me, I had previously adjusted this valve while trying to address another issue, which ultimately led to the problem at hand.

I learned something new now.