What's new

Pulsation Dampener

OurTown

Reaction score
Recently I swapped out the BR10-1 US Para Plate regulator (they have gotten pricey for how long they last) for an SMC 5551090 on our Cat 1010 spot free delivery pump running 400 psi. It seems to pulsate in the bay more than it used to. We are using the Mosmatic lightweight comfort hoses in the bays and they do seem more sensitive to pulsating. Could our pulsation dampener be bad or need recharged? I have never messed with it and don't know anything about those. How can I check it out? If it is good then could I install one of those pulsation hoses between the pump discharge and the solenoid valve bank? This pump runs smoother at times and other times it chatters a little or a lot. I also changed the low pressure seals in it again the other day and it helped some.

Keno

Reaction score
Maybe the pulsation is why your regulators were failing quicker than expected? Just thinking outloud, don't know?

OurTown

Reaction score
If I installed one of those pulsation hoses does it go inline or does it tee off and have a cap on the other end?

OurTown

Reaction score
Maybe the pulsation is why your regulators were failing quicker than expected? Just thinking outloud, don't know?

Possibly. The issue I have noticed is that the Para Plate regulators are chrome plated brass on the inside. When the chrome wears away the replacement o-rings do not last very long at all. They now cost over $200 (for the 10 gpm size) so are about five times the cost of the SMC regulators. I doubt they last five times as long. They look well built but at the new price they have lost their luster for me. I have started to switch over the 5gpm sized US PP regulators over to the appropriate SMC models on the Cat 623 bay pumps.

cmawash

Reaction score
when we find a pump pulsation problem, pump is overhauled on occasion our experience if there is any pulsation after over haul in the line its throw away time.. damper looks ok on the outside side but you take them off they are full of rust and just plain worn out and are a throw away item

Etowah