What's new

Pulsation Dampener

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Anybody use this Dampener from KR?

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1518-kleen-rite-pulsation-dampener-10-gpm-600-3000-psi.aspx

I only have one of the originals left on my pumpstand. There are/were mounted under the unloader underneath the pumpstand. Much harder to work on than needs to be. I think I priced the originals (Cat maybe) and they were about $300 bucks, so I just capped them off with a HP hose as suggested from somebody here on the forum.

I'm having pulsation noise in one of my bays and wonder if this dampner from KR will work as good as the original equipment? I saw a picture of a pumpstand online that put the dampener right on the pump. Definetley a better place to put it for ease of maintenence.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I doubt that you will notice any difference regardless of what you have on there. I have Mark VII pumps stands like you. Over the years most of mine have gone by the wayside for one reason or another. They were not replaced, just removed. I can't tell a bit of difference. I went to a Mark VII service school many years ago. They explained the positioning of this part on the pump stand. IIRC, they are charged with nitrogen and could possibly explode. They put them low and pointing down to reduce shrapnel hazards. I've never had one explode and after hearing that I never tried to take one apart.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I.B, I think you were the one who suggested I replace the Dampener with a short piece of HP hose when one started leaking. It seems to work ok except for the bay 2 over from the ER. I have a Semi/Truck bay 3 bays over from the ER, and it doesn't pulsate through the attic at all. Plus it doesn't have a dampener on it. So I was thinking, if all that was needed is to put a new dampener inline on the one vibrating, I'd do it. But it wouldn't go under the stand. It would be out where I could get to it easier... Maybe these new style ones are different than the original ones as far as safety. Yea I'd hate to get blown in half if one were to ever let go! Although by judging from the weight of the OEM dampener, it has to be encased with 1/4" or heavier steel! Its heavy...

MEP001

Reaction score
If you replaced the damper with steel-braided hose, it's not doing anything at all.

If a pump is pulsating, it's not a bad dampener. It's only there to help quiet the normal hum created in the lines of a properly functioning pump.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I.B, I think you were the one who suggested I replace the Dampener with a short piece of HP hose when one started leaking.
I don't believe that was me since I have never done that myself. I once had a bay with a General pump that kept pushing the hose into the attic. Every few months I would notice that the hose was taught at the pump end and up in the attic there would be a loop since all the slack in the hose had been pushed downstream. I put on one of those pulse/dampener hoses, but that didn't help. Some time later it started leaking so I took it off and threw it away. Eventually I replaced that pump with an Arimitsu and have had no trouble since.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Anybody use this Dampener from KR?

I think I priced the originals (Cat maybe) and they were about $300 bucks, so I just capped them off with a HP hose as suggested from somebody here on the forum.

I saw a picture of a pumpstand online that put the dampener right on the pump. Definetley a better place to put it for ease of maintenence.
2Biz,
They rarely require "maintenance"...just replacement, since they're a sealed unit. Most of mine are Cat and are many years old. As Mep stated, a brass plug works just as well as a length of steel braid hose...dampener hoses are flexible fabric braid hoses.

I'm not a fan of all that weight mounted on the pump head...under the unloader is the best location, imho.

Greg

Reaction score
Pulsation Dampeners

A search on "Pulse Hose" will save you money and be as effective as a dampener.
Good advice in above postings.
If you have a pump which is abnormally pulsating, a dampener is not the cure, it will only "mask" other issues.
Begin by checking to insure the pump is getting plenty of water, that the pump seals are ok, and that the pump valves are free of debris.

Thank you,
Greg Thoennes
Arimitsu Pumps

Last edited: