What's new

Pulsating cat 535 pump

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Have cat 3535 pulsating on one of my ww 1.0, holds pressure at 1100 PSI, hoses are all good. wondering if I have a unloader or a valve problem.. only at high pressure causing hoses to shake inside eq. room. Never had this problem on 3535 before. Any help greatly appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
The pump most likely needs new seals or valve o-rings, or it may have a piece of debris in one of the valves. Fix it before you end up with broken parts from the pulsating.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
The pump most likely needs new seals or valve o-rings, or it may have a piece of debris in one of the valves. Fix it before you end up with broken parts from the pulsating.
thank, i went and shut it down until i can take a look at the valves.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a similar problem in the past on my old car wash with a cat 3535. My issue was a dirty inlet mesh screen on the line that feeds the pump.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would start by checking inlet plumbing for restrictions- make sure someone hasn't closed off the ball valve under the tank too much. If the unloader is leaking it will allow air in and cause the pump to run rough. You can rebuild a leaking one with a few orings. If that checks out then check valves, simply because it's fairly easy. After all that has been checked I guess it's time to try a seal kit. Just rebuilt one on my 2.0 and it was a bit of a pain due to the hardware and pump location.

KansasPete

Reaction score
I've had a similar issue. The issue was resolved when I found a small empty product tank. When the solenoid opened for that product to enter the pump, it was empty so it supplied air to the pump. I'd recommend inspecting each and every tank.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Have cat 3535 pulsating on one of my ww 1.0, holds pressure at 1100 PSI, hoses are all good. wondering if I have a unloader or a valve problem.. only at high pressure causing hoses to shake inside eq. room. Never had this problem on 3535 before. Any help greatly appreciated.
Ended up replacing pump thanks to all for help.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Ended up replacing pump thanks to all for help.

OK, you got me curious, what made you determine a replacement pump was needed? I'm thrifty but I'm wondering when do we just put a new pump in. Those babies are expensive.

Also, was the new pump noticeably quieter?

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
OK, you got me curious, what made you determine a replacement pump was needed? I'm thrifty but I'm wondering when do we just put a new pump in. Those babies are expensive.

Also, was the new pump noticeably quieter?
Pre 2008

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
The pumps we have are pre-2009, that was when changes were made on sleeves w/ small springs, these came apart and damaged the housing .We decided to replace instead of spending time and money on repairing and not knowing what we might have when finished.
Locating a pump was a task because most dealers have no 3535 in stock, we was lucky we found one locate.