What's new

Prototype complete - Anybody interested in something new!!!

acbruno

Reaction score
I just finished my prototype notification device. What it does is detect when my changer is down (the out-of-service light illuminates). Then the software I wrote takes the signal and sends emails to any valid email address and also sends a text message to my cell phone letting me know I have a changer that is out of service. The software tracks the status continually and displays it to the screen. It also auto-resets itself when the changer is back up.

You need a PC running windows, an available USB port, and an always-on internet connection to make this work.

Do any of you know if something like that exists today? If not I think I might try to market the device. The prototype cost me $150 to build, but it will service both of my change machines and differentiate between them with unique messages in the emails and SMS text messages.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I put a small device in my 3-bay SS that is similar. It sends my cell phone a text message everytime the equipment room door opens, and it sends me a text message at 6:30pm each night with the number of washes per bay and the dollar amount on the property.

The equipment cost was like yours, maybe $100 - $150, but it doesn't need a PC. It does need a DSL connection though-- it won't work with dialup. I would hook my changers to it but they never seem to go out of service-- lucky me!

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
http://www.controlbyweb.com/five-input/index.html

I love these things, you can hook any dry loop to this, and it emails! 5 inputs for $115 its hardly worth making yourself unless its a hobby! check this company out I have bought a couple of these input modules and also the webrelay, which allows you to control anything wired to it from pda/internet!

jeffs

Reaction score
is there a system that can use a cellular line to burst info to a land line without having to have dsl or phone line cost or a on site computer?

bigleo48

Reaction score
is there a system that can use a cellular line to burst info to a land line without having to have dsl or phone line cost or a on site computer?
Jeff...what you are looking for is a packet data cellular modem for the protocol your carrier uses. Here's an example of a EDGE (GSM high speed) modem http://www.compsource.com/pn/MTCBAENAM/Multitech Systems/
This would work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. There are also versions for CDMA types (Verizon, Sprint).

BigLeo