What's new

Protecting Your Automatic from Electrical Surge Damage?

Carl

Reaction score
During a recent lightning storm, lightning either hit our auto bay or got very close because we found the gantry of our Water Wizard going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth down the rails to where we had a hard time stopping it since it had really been "shocked silly!" :eek:

Do you guys do anything to protect your automatics from damage due to electrical surges from lightning? I know we have a real nice CyberPower battery backup and surge protector hooked up to our office PC to protect it, but is there something you can do to protect your expensive auto bay carwash equipment from damage as can happen if you're unlucky enough to get "surged"? (we've been having intermittent problems w/ this particular automatic for weeks now ever since it got "frazzled" from that bad surge so we replace components weekly as we see necessary but the problems that clue us in to there even being a problem happen so intermittently due to "weakened components" that are not so obvious at first.) And if possible, I'd like to better protect our two automatics from such damage happening again if something can be done that I've not thought of yet? (wouldn't switching off the circuit breakers to both automatics be a pain during every storm since many times we all have customers who want to use the automatic during a rainstorm anyhow, so you can't really shut off your 24/7 automatics...just thinking out loud now...Happy 4th of July!)

Thanks. - Carl

Reds

Reaction score
MEP, thanks for that link. I've been interested in installing this type of protection for a while but have not been sure where to start looking. Very helpfull.

Carl

Reaction score
MEP, thanks for that helpful link!

Tom Thumb...it just seems like ever since we had the lightning strike and immediately afterward, the automatic was going forward and backward non-stop until we killed the power to it, it's never been the same. As in today, July 4th this automatic skipped an entire rinse pass leaving soap on a customer's car but over 50 cars have passed through without any problems since the last time this glitched in a similar manner? Thanks. - Carl

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Surge

We have a box installed by the power company that I am sure is worthless. We pay $25 bucks a month for it and I have all kinds of electrical issues. Thank you for the link as well.